Use Live Text to Digitize Your Cookbooks

Originally published at: Use Live Text to Digitize Your Cookbooks - TidBITS

Faced with the desire to import recipes from his cookbooks into Paprika, Adam Engst discovers that iOS’s Live Text feature works wonders for scanning recipe text using his iPhone’s camera.

1 Like

For converting case of the recipe title, try the app Text Case. It adds a whole array of case conversion tools to the Share sheet.

1 Like

The wonderful Mela (by the creator of Reeder) is worth checking out. It has a “scan recipes” feature that uses live text to let you do exactly what you’re doing, but cuts down on some of the busywork steps.

6 Likes

Yeah, I found that and mentioned it in the article. But it looks like the only benefit it might have in this case is closing the share sheet automatically once it’s done. You’d still have to select the text, invoke the share sheet, select Text Case’s conversion, and then paste back. Unless I’m misunderstanding, at which point please enlighten me!

Looks interesting! Is the scanning feature available in the free download or do you have to pay to try it out?

1 Like

Mela is really the go to app for recipes. It scans recipes, imports from web sites — and does so in multiple languages even. Highly recommended.

2 Likes

How does Mela compare with Paprika in terms of function and features? Has anyone tried both? (current Paprika user)

I’m not sure what’s in the free functionality vs. paid. Glancing at the website & app store description I don’t see it listed, but it’s, ya know, free to download and see :slight_smile:

I’m an ex-Paprika user. Used it for many many years. If Mela went away I’d be sad, but I’d be happy to go back to Paprika. It’s a great app.

I switched to Mela because I prefer the design overall. And subscribing to recipe RSS feeds intrigued me as a way to occasionally browse new recipes. There are a few details I’d like to see improved, but on the whole I find the visual & UX design more appealing.

Feature wise it’s very similar to Paprika. Supports Mac/iPhone/iPad, shared recipe library, timers, unit conversion, calendar for meal planning if that’s your thing. Grocery list integration is better IMO as it simply reads/writes to the built-in Reminders, rather than Paprika’s method of keeping a separate grocery list which you have to export to Reminders. Cooking mode is nicely done and quite well suited to simple navigation with knuckles when your hands are covered in ingredients.

It can import recipes from Paprika, so it’s also very easy to kick the tires on, and if you don’t like it just continue with Paprika.

4 Likes

+1 for Mela.

So far I’ve only used the free version and I have successfully text-scanned a couple of recipes into it. There’s some cleanup that needs to be done, but it is intelligent in that it guides you through the sections (Title, Ingredients, etc.) to ensure the text goes to the right fields.

Easy to use, and I’ll probably pay for it as I ramp up my use.

2 Likes

To change an all-caps name after inserting it, you must tap in the Name field, tap Select All, tap the share icon, select this Change Case shortcut, close the share sheet, tap the still-selected text, and tap Paste…Suggestions for making the case change faster are welcome!

Any time I need to repeat the same sequence several times I turn to Keyboard Maestro (KM). I have a hot key set up to change selected text to title case – use BBEdit (Text > Change Case), copy the newly-titled text, then paste it back over the original selected text. I used to do this manually with BBEdit, then when I got KM it sped up the process. Although KM has a learning curve, I use it for so many repetitive tasks that it was worth taking the time. I continually learn new things it can do. It’s amazing software.

2 Likes

Doh! Because I interact with Paprika on my iPhone 99% of the time, I didn’t even think about using the Mac version, where I have proper tools like Keyboard Maestro. Thanks for reminding me!

1 Like

Much as I approve of the Eat Your Bookssearchable recipe index site, I never managed to work it into my habits.

Just out of interest, is there some reason(s) Eat Your Books didn’t hit for you?

I was going to mention it to my non-geek sister, as she has loads of cook books, but I can’t see her using a fully-fledged digital recipe manager like Paprika et al. as she doesn’t have the inclination to go whole hog into digitising her book recipes. Hence it being a somewhat easier sell. :wink:

Adam,

You’re working so hard to conveniently populate the various Paprika fields individually and sequentially that you’re inconveniencing yourself in myriad other ways. I know all about this, being the poster child for “solution tunnel vision”.

Take one big photo with your iPhone. Copy all LiveText, then transfer, via Universal Clipboard, to desktop BBedit (or, if you must stay on mobile, Drafts, IAWriter, Editorial, etc). Clean it up using a proper text editor (enjoying ample features for case changing, grep, etc.). Then paste - yes, field-by-field! - into Paprika, which is a fussy process, but not nearly as fussy as the hurdles you’re creating to avoid it! (fwiw I’ve benefited enormously from adding the various Command and Option + arrow text navigation shortcuts (along with Shift to select as you go) to my repertoire.

You’re set on Paprika, so this is more for onlookers, but, fwiw, I throw recipes into Bear (I previously used Evernote). I lose grocery list functionality, but I don’t need that badly enough to justify fussy feeding and normalizing. I can web clip, or live text dump, or even create a Bear note around a JPG scan (if I’m willing to lose searchability) and tag it “recipe” “dessert” “huitlacoche” etc, and it’s there for me on all three platforms. Not pretty, but it works far more efficiently than needing to crack open cookbooks. When a 15 sec solution gets you 90% there, it may (or may not) be smarter than a 5 min solution that gets you all the way.

Maybe some people can’t live without grocery lists, or get upset when formatting doesn’t match just so, and would hate this solution. But I always try to ask myself which beasts truly need feeding. I hate to feel compelled to do fussy work to satisfy a computer program. That strikes me as backwards.

I think it’s mostly contextual. When I looking for a recipe, I’m in the kitchen or pantry and not near a computer. I could pull my iPhone out of my pocket, but usually I know what cookbook I want to look in, so it’s just easier to look in the book itself.

It’s quite unusual for me to think, “I’d like a recipe for X.” and then search through indexes of multiple cookbooks on my shelf. It happens, but not often, and not often enough that I think to try Eat My Books.

Hah! Different strokes… Just the amount of moving around the house between where the cookbooks are and where my Mac is would take longer than scanning the text with Live Text.

And as I noted above, it’s contextual. If I leave the kitchen/pantry to go work on the Mac, I’ll likely get distracted and do something else. Keeping it entirely on the iPhone (apart from the occasional fixing of all caps titles) keeps it within the context of cooking for me.

2 Likes

What’s with this use a recipe idea:-)? I’m the cook at our house as well and while I do sometimes look at one just to get a general reminder for what spices go in dish x…but once I start cooking I don’t measure anything. That means of course that my version never tastes quite the same twice in a row and may not exactly match the flavor of whichever recipe I looked it but if you look up any dish you’ll get 27 slightly different recipes anyway.

Despite being the cook for probably 97% of the meals we’ve had in the last 46+ years…my bride is the only one of us with a published recipe as she keeps reminding me…but then I remind her that I never make that recipe the way it was published but with random minor variations.

1 Like

Mela is amazingly efficient and accurate at importing recipes from web sites, in my experience needs very little or no tweaks after using it on most common web recipe sources. The process of importing from images is also remarkably accurate, usually does need some finessing but the program makes it very easy. A big time saver for me…

How does one use “special keyboard shortcuts for inserting common fractions” in Paprika 3? Looking on the MacOS version, I don’t find it.

1 Like

Check out the amazing PopClip for case changes, and it’s easily customizable. You have simply to select text with the mouse and you get an automatic pop-up that lets you choose from a variety of things like title case, sentence case, and other stuff besides, like hyphenating or removing spaces. It’s in the App Store.

1 Like

I’ve been using Paprika for years, after MacGourmet support just ended after syncing stopped working.

Coincidentally, I asked them in Nov about automagically entering using Live Text, and they did say it’s something they are working on adding.

One thing I miss with Paprika is a “Cooking” view. The text sizes are limited to Apple’s built in sizes. It’s ok on an iPad, but I have an iMac on the wall that I like to use for recipes but the text in Paprika is too small for that.

Hadn’t heard of Mela, so might be checking that out.

DEVONtechnologies | Needful Things Free “WordServices” from Devon for your Mac, includes: Initial Caps of Words, Lowercase, and All Caps AND works on Services menus or you can assign a keystroke. Super fast, no macros or programming necessary.

1 Like

Looks like the additional keyboard shortcuts (they’re buttons) aren’t in the Mac version. However, it’s easy enough to enter fractions in any app on the Mac.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7343274

2 Likes