Use Apple’s networkQuality Tool to Test Internet Responsiveness

Thank you Jeff; yes, it was really only zoom. But having discovered the difference I’m now more curious about what causes that and whether it is only the serial/parallel testing attribute.

1 Like

Thank you Alan. I will try -s.
I see that your upload speeds with networkQuality and no parameters, ie parallel, drop to about at third the speed of serial. Mine with no parameters drop by an order of magnitude (from ~240 Mbps to ~20 Mbps). That seems a huge degradation to me, and puzzling. I will try the ‘ -s’ and the ‘ -h’ though.

My internal network maxes out at 1Gbps, but my connection to my ISP (Sonic.com) is supposedly 10Gbps (using a direct connection to my MacStudio, I’ve gotten a Speedtest measurement of about 8.1 Gbps down/ 7.1 Gbps up). So, I do have extra capacity on my Internet pipe.

Just a heads up, if like me you copy and paste Alan’s terminal command it won’t work because there’s a typo. It should be

networkQuality -s

1 Like

Update: if I use networkQuality -s after a few passes of 0.0 uplink capacity, the uplink and downlink are much more similar (216, 265 Mbps, respectively) than in the parallel mode.

So for whatever reason, is the takeaway that the M1 chip as configured in the MB Pro has a hard time with parallel streams and pays more attention to the downloads?

It feels to me more like a network issue than a processor issue, but that’s just a gut feeling.