URL clicks in Mail changed?

Running macOS12.6 (Monterey) and very recently updated Safari to v16.1

Before the update I THINK this was normal for me

• Safari running, a Window open with 1 or more tabs active
  • Clicking a URL link in an email. message (in Mail) would open a NEW Tab in the existing window in Safari.
  • Clicking other URL links would do the same.
  • All clicks resulted in new tabs in the 1st window

NOW,

• Safari running, a Window open with 1 or more tabs active
  • Clicking a URL link in an email. message (in Mail) opens a NEW Window but doesn’t close the prior Window. The tabs in the 1st Window remain active. (My music continues)
  • Clicking other URL links produce more Tabs in the new, 2nd Window
  • All clicks resulted in new tabs in the 2nd window

I have looked at Preferences for Mail and Safari but don’t see anything that would seem to control this action

Does anyone have idea of managing this?

I can live with it, just would like to know how to adjust it

A “New Feature” or a “bug”?

Jerry.

Mine have always and still open in tabs. Check the Tabs setting in Safari. I have ‘Open pages in tabs instead of windows’ set to ‘Always’.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion I changed the setting to Always BUT that didn’t change the result. Others suggested the same thing

Must be something else

But I can live with it until I stumble upon the cause

Jerry

Yup, I think I know this one—it’s tab groups. New links always open in the default tab group, so you might be browsing in another. Annoying, but manageable, although I’d sooner get rid of the “tab groups” feature entirely, for all the good it does. I sometimes find a whole load of tabs that I thought I’d lost in a tab group I didn’t realise I had, so check there first.

2 Likes

Thanks Sebby. You nailed it.
If I have a Tab Group active then My issue arises

If I don’t have a TG active then things are normal

Jerry

1 Like