A couple of months ago I changed login credentials for an email account.
I attended to this via the Firefox browser.
I also access this account using Safari.
I just discovered that, after having cleared all history for a different reason described later,
that Safari had been allowing the old password to work as the correct password for the interim.
It was not until I cleared the history that Safari recognized the old password as incorrect.
Seems unusual that no other browser mechanism recognized the anomaly in
the login credentials until now
Regarding clearing history, I am seeing a lot more need to clear history in Safari to correct anomalies at web sites