TipBITS: Quickly Access App Updates in iOS 13

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/11/07/tipbits-quickly-access-app-updates-in-ios-13/

Annoyingly, Apple buried App Store updates in iOS 13 and iPadOS 13, using that toolbar spot to promote its Apple Arcade service, but there’s a shortcut to see your updates quickly.

1 Like

Great tip! Thanks for telling us, Josh. :slight_smile: :+1:

Thank you!!!

I think there’s an even easier way - quicker, too. On my phone and iPad, my Apple account avatar in the upper right corner is always red-badged with the pending updates. All I have to do is tap once on the badge and it takes me straight to the list of updates. So - they didn’t “delete” the updates button - they just moved it upstairs and used the space down below for something new.

I still have to pull down on the contents twice, first to get the list of past updates, and a second time to get the list of pending updates.

I think Federico Viticci was the one who discovered (or at least the one who I learned it from) that opening the URL…

itms-apps://apps.apple.com/updates

…will open right to the updates screen.

2 Likes

Question: If you swipe left and thus remove an app, I’m told that it remains “yours,” just not on the phone. Is there some way to list your apps that have been removed?

In the App Store, tap the Account icon and tap the Purchased item. You can open the ’Not on this iPhone’ tab to see items that you own but are not installed.

In the App Store, click on your avatar in the upper right and then click the “Purchased” button near the top. On the following screen you will find an option at the top to filter to the apps that are “Not on this iPhone.”

Hope that helps.