TipBITS: How to Disable a Known AirTag’s Alerts

Originally published at: TipBITS: How to Disable a Known AirTag’s Alerts - TidBITS

Tired of getting unnecessary “AirTag Found Moving With You” alerts when you borrow your spouse’s keys? Here’s how you can disable those alerts, at least for a day.

1 Like

Thankfully, we live in the same house. :joy:

Apples support document uses this AirTag behaviour to push family sharing which includes the option to stop the alerts indefinitely. Apple thinks living together isn’t enough, you have to be prepared to foot her Candy Crush habits too.

I find the whole thing relatively mystifying that they’ve made it almost impossible to an AirTag to protect against theft, to mostly mitigate some headlines. Not to downplay the seriousness of stalking but because a) each tag is linked to an owner so it’s trivial to be identified and prosecuted and b) there are plenty of alternatives to track someone at less risk.

1 Like

I have seen this many times by now. I have never got any other option than “Pause for today”.

My wife just received (for the first time?) a Pause Indefinitely option. The Air Tag that we keep in our car (set up on my account) was following her today when she was driving and I was not with her. Here’s the screenshot.

2 Likes

Aha! So I wonder what’s different such that you’re getting the Pause Indefinitely option. I’m assuming you’re up to date with iOS?

My wife has an iPhone 11 Pro with an up-to-date iOS. The AirTag in question is firmware 1.0.291 (not yet updated to the latest AirTag firmware). Can you think of anything else that should make a difference?

Only thing I can think of is if you have enabled Family Sharing. If not, this is great news!

We are on the same Family Sharing “account.”