TidBITS Marks Its 30th Anniversary in a Time of Pandemic

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2020/04/13/tidbits-marks-its-30th-anniversary-in-a-time-of-pandemic/

It’s hard to celebrate during these dark days, but time trundles on, and this week is the 30th anniversary of when we started publishing TidBITS, all the way back in 1990. Publisher Adam Engst shares some thoughts about the event.

9 Likes

Congratulations, Adam, and to the rest of the TidBITS crew, on thirty years of excellent, informative journalism. I’ve been a devoted reader since your Internet Starter Kit was first published, and my husband and I both agree that without that easy to understand and clearly presented book, it probably would have taken us years to get hooked up to the Internet. I have been a devoted reader since then, and TidBITS has kept me informed with just about everything I need to know about Apple hardware, software and services.

Cent Anni,TidBITS!

7 Likes

Cheers Adam and Tonya as well as Josh and all the writers. It’s been a good ride with you along this crazy journey.

Jumped up a tier instead of cancelling. Hope others help where they can.

6 Likes

Mazal tov on 30 Years!!! I think I’ve been reading you for most of those years. I don’t know what I would have done without you. Keep up the awesome work!
:+1: :birthday: :heart: :heart:

4 Likes

Congrats to Adam, Tonya, and all others at TidBITS, remembering 30 years of great reporting and service !! - Please keep up the good work.

–Phil V.

4 Likes

Grats!

Even though I’m busier than ever, I find I’m participating a lot more in TidBITS Talk recently. Social interaction!

I also developed carpal tunnel syndrome last year (too much bike riding) and tapped into some truly ancient TidBITS wisdom and started wearing Handeze gloves, which have helped tremendously. TidBITS: useful then, fresh and relevant now.

4 Likes

Congrats on the milestone! I actually think I still have my Internet Starter Kit =:0

Diane

4 Likes

Thank you for being an important part of my life for at least 29+ years—I think I started reading post-HyperCard stack!

4 Likes

Adam and all

Congratulations from Switzerland.

Not “so it goes”, but “go on please”.

— nef

4 Likes

True, Adam, it seems odd to celebrate in the middle of the virus crisis. Yet it is utterly important to mark the moment. We have to allow the normal into our lives as much as possible.
Greetings from Ireland where we have been cocooned since St Patrick’s Day and will remain so until at least 5th May.

3 Likes

Congratulations, Adam and Tonya, for this anniverary and for having your hands on the pulse of everything Mac and IT. I feel very thankful for all the help I received via your articles and the “Take Control…” series of eBooks.

I wish you all the best for getting through these trying times and may you thrive ever after!

greetings from Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany

Thomas

3 Likes

Happy anniversary. Stay safe and keep doing what you do.

3 Likes

Congrats on 30 years of TidBITS! :slight_smile: (BTW, that strapline at the top of the website is going to need updating now, it’s still saying 29 years.) Yes, these are strange times we’re in, but the need for technology insight remains, as does the support of fellow Mac and iDevice users here in the forums. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Woo! I still have several pair in the closet, and although I haven’t had to wear them in many, many years, Tristan used them a bit a few years back when he was having some discomfort from typing with bad ergonomics (ie, being a teenager).

Indeed! It has been great to make so many good friends across the course of our career, and I’m so happy that you’re still in close orbit. Many other good friends have been spun out by entropy over the years, which is always sad.

I was wondering if anyone was going to notice that. :-) I was planning on changing it on Thursday for the actual day, but clearly it should be done now.

2 Likes

A kudos to you and Tonya, Adam, on this milestone. (As a Classics major, you probably know that kudos is singular.) I remember reading the early TidBITS and wondering if you and Tonya were an item or just two college students both interested in Macintosh computers.

I’m looking at a pair right now. Last winter, I wondered if the company was still in business, but since I had no current need, my wondering did not spark any investigation.

3 Likes

I first started reading TidBITS 30 years ago when I was on CompuServe out here in my very rural area. Life happened and TidBITS took a back seat for many years. I was thrilled to re-discover TidBITS a number of years ago and am so very grateful you are still providing amazing, relevant content. My sincere thanks to you and yours Adam, as well as all the contributors that make this a welcome place and and bottomless well of knowledge I can draw on.

3 Likes

Congratulations to Adam, Tonya, and all of you who make TidBITS happen. I’ve been enjoying TidBITS for almost as long as I can remember. Probably still have some of the first ASCII emails I got stashed away on one of my older Macs (probably my trusty old SE/30, or perhaps the LC 475?). And after all this time, TidBITS is still a great source of information and these forums is where I love to come with my questions or to have interesting discussions with people from all over the globe.

I can’t say anything else and I definitely can’t say it any better than what the many posters above have already said. You guys have done a tremendous job. I truly appreciate what you do for us, and I can only hope you keep it up for as long as any of us are around to enjoy. Big round of applause to you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had forgotten! But even the macOS dictionary will tell us that.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying this adventure from the beginning. Here’s to 30 more years. :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Not sure when I started reading but it was before 1993, and I want to say 1991. Early enough that I downloaded the HyperCard back issues. (Amused to see HyperCard is in the iOS spelling dictionary, as is right and proper.)

It’s a pleasure to be part of this community, and a second thank you to all contributors who make my work possible as well as Adam’s.

3 Likes