TidBITS 32nd Anniversary and the 32K Text Barrier

Originally published at: TidBITS 32nd Anniversary and the 32K Text Barrier - TidBITS

Powers of 2 resonate throughout the world of technology, so on our 32nd anniversary, it’s impossible not to think of the long-ago limitation that kept Mac apps and Internet gateways from being able to deal with more than 32K of text.

4 Likes

Conga-rats on the Double-Word Anniversary of TidBITS! :tada::champagne:

1 Like

Congratulations on your 2^5 anniversary. Power-of-two anniversaries get harder and harder to reach. This one is a significant achievement. I doubt any of us can imagine what “computing” will be like at your 2^6 anniversary.

4 Likes

Congratulations on your 32 years anniversary of TidBITS. I have been very honor joining this community since almost the beginning. In 32 years ago (when I was 31 years young), Mac was a minority but I felt a great future. Now we are seeing it. Be successful Mac community, TidBITS family and your family as well. Thank you for publishing TidBIT for many years.

4 Likes

I seem to recall in the early days getting TidBits in setext format. It was quite cool at the time. Read it on my VAX workstation under X Windows. We didn’t know how good we had it… Congratulations.

2 Likes

@mitch.barker, I too read it on our VAX — but using VMS via a terminal emulator on my Macintosh SE. A little kludgy, but it worked very well. I miss VMS, and Macintosh’s “System 7.” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯