SSD Life Span? What Happens when they 'die'

I have a 240gb OWC SSD that was installed in my Late 2012 iMac when the Hard Drive failed under warranty in December 2015. Apple provided the new 1TB HD, I purchased the 240GB SSD, my Apple dealer did the installation. It is configured as a Fusion Drive.

DriveDx is now showing 10% life remaining on the SSD.

My Question: What happens when it gets to 0%.
Is the data lost?
Does MacOS stop using it?

The only thing I am certain of is that if/when I replace it, I will NOT configure it as a Fusion Drive.

Any input is appreciated.

Regarding SSD remaining life:

My Question: What happens when it gets to 0%.
Is the data lost?
Does MacOS stop using it?

Often an SSD simply fails to function. “It’s dead, Jim.” Sometimes the data already there remains, but writes can fail because of no free blocks for modifications.

There is some variation between manufacturers of SSD control chips and their SMART parameter usage. DriveDX and SMART Utility both make reasonable interpretations and failure predictions.

I have one firm rule which applies to both SSDs and HDDs: When DriveDX or SMART Utility or Carbon Copy Cloner complaints point to imminent failure, I immediately perform both a TM backup and a CCC backup – and then replace the drive. Since applying this rule, almost all data loss encountered has been due to human error, not hardware failure.

Paraphrasing the late Chicago mayor, “Backup early. Backup often.”

1 Like

Exactly! +1.