Shuffle albums randomly in Music apps (solution)

I think that technically record players you can stack the LPs are called “changers” while players that can only accept one disk, are called “turntables”. IIRC, that term came from the DJ world.

I also vaguely remember seeing a double album in which Disk 1 had Sides 1 & 4 while Disk 2 had Sides 2 & 3. That way you could put them on a changer and play the sides in sequence by just flipping the stack (assuming you had oriented the two disks correctly).

And there was Monty Python’s Matching Tie and Handkerchief album that had three sides. One side with two cuts/grooves, so it was dependent on where your stylus happened to drop.

On the iTunes store, the album is just a long list of skits.

Back on topic, I did get the iOS App Albums and am trying it out. Has good controls and seems to be working well. At least there is a third party solution (that should be built in to Music)

I haven’t done statistics, but I have seen many double LPs, both ways. I don’t know if any were produced both ways and you could pick. That would be one heck of a trivia question.

I guess that could be real confusing if the needle skipped. I do remember my second year of Spanish in HS. We had a young teacher and we were watching film strips that were accompanied with a record, it beeped to change to the next image. At the end of the class, we finally convinced him to play the wrong record with the next film strip. There were several that were EXTREMELY funny.

Back in the days when changers were common, I saw a lot of operas released in this format. They were often 3-5 disc boxes. So you could stack them all up and only have to flip the stack once for the entire performance.

Once changers went out of fashion, the publishers stopped pressing the records in this configuration, because it’s really annoying when you don’t have a changer.

I use that AppleScript–it’s great. One thing to be aware of though, it will ignore any albums that don’t have the exact number of tracks found in the “of” field. E.g. if you have 3 tracks: 1 of 4, 2 of 4, and 4 of 4, it will consider that a partial album and won’t play it. Not sure why.

My last experience was with my parents system in the 80s (which my dad bought sometime in the 70s). I remember we had to replace the center stalk (for lack of a better word) with a taller one. It had a nub on the side that held the albums. When it got to the end and the arm moved back to the home position, the nub would retract and the next one would drop down. Now that I write it all out, it does seem pretty sophisticated!

I can find images online but most point to auctions which are closed so I can’t get a good picture.

Diane

A spindle. I remember those systems. We had a Philco one and a Sylvania.

Thank you - my brain wasn’t fully engaged yet! I don’t remember the brand but it was a very good system for the time. I’m sure my dad hated when we reached teen years and would crank it! We were pretty good about hearing the garage door move and someone would yell out and there would be a mad dash to turn it down. :grimacing: I should see if they still have it.

Diane

1 Like

When I set up a stereo system in the 1970s, the turntable was a Dual (I think it was a 1219). It could be set up as single play with a short stalk in the center or as a record changer with a taller spindle that would drop records when needed. Because it was convertible, that also meant that even in single play mode, it would automatically return the tone arm to its resting position when the record ended.

My sophomore year in college I lived in a house with my Sr brother and his roommate from the dorm (he became DA of Yavapai County). Before exams we played FreeBird at loud volumes. End of spring semester we all had finals on the same day. All the windows were open (it was Tucson) so was the front door. So there we were, all three of us, jamming by playing our air guitars to FreeBird and the older neighbor came over and knocked on the front screen door. To this day I have no idea what he thought. After our honeymoon and my wife moved into same house, brother and that roommate long gone, but another clueless house mate still hanging around, same neighbor came over and gave us a pretty old crusty box that contained a small 1/2 gone bottle of champagne and two glasses, amazingly they exactly matched the four glasses given to us as a wedding present etched with an ‘H’.

Couple of years later when I went back to UofA to take the PhD prelims, written part, I forgot a cassette of Pronounce ‘leh-‘nerd’skin-‘nerd. So a nice guy at one of the record shops made me a cassette just for that morning of the prelims! The cassette player in a '74 Toyota Corolla just doesn’t crank up too loud without a lot of distortion.

I am always amazed what our forefathers did! Going to the moon with computers with far less horsepower than the first iPhone. Imagine what Albert Einstein, James Maxwell**, Sir Isaac Newton could have done with Mathematica (program that lets you do very complicated math algebraically).

**Maxwell formulated the four partial differential equations that describe/rule the propagation of electromagnetic waves (light, RF). Probably more than 1/2 of all physics students take yearS to understand them, and that’s with them right in front of them.

In addition to my Technics SL-10, I have a Dual CS 5000 that I bought primarily because it will play all 3 record formats: 33, 45, & 78. To play the last, I have to change the cartridge (or at least the needle).

Interesting. I live in Prescott.

Pretty sure John Erickson was DA for a number of years. I think he stepped down about 10 years ago and now has a private practice. Oh the stories I could tell, but now since he is no long an elected official they probably can’t hurt him.

Maybe this is too simple but in the Music menu the Control pulldown has Shuffle > and the list is On/OF and Song, Album, and Groups.

Isn’t this a bug if Album does not work?

Mike

This works only in Mac OS, curse it.

1 Like

Yet another app that does this: ‎Album Time! on the App Store

Some highlights:

• UI is similar to built-in Music App (as of iOS 16)
  • Automatically skips the current album if consecutive songs are skipped
  • Can sort by Recently Added, and with that, it’s convenient to tap a recently added album and start playing right away. It automatically queues up random albums to play afterwards

Disclosure: I’m the app developer

1 Like