Sequoia = Lackluster?

After I rebuilt the mailbox the mail has since stayed in date order, but a bit odd this should be needed after upgrading to Sequoia. Things like that have happened in the past too though, so. Beachball in Contacts I had just 10 minutes ago last time … it is not going away. When I get around to it I will see if I can export everything and import it to a new user’s Contacts, export it from there, clean everything in my Contacts and import it again there, but I am not feeling too optimistic about it helping.

You can turn off the new tiling dragging features in the Desktop & Dock section of System Settings:

If you’re talking about the pop-up that appears when you hover over the green button in the top left of a window, I’m not aware that there’s any way to disable this, but it’s not new in Sequoia. It’s been in MacOS for several versions now, but didn’t have the tiling options previously.

You don’t need to find a place to click to get rid of it, you can simply click on whatever it was you were moving the cursor to (e.g. the Apple menu or the application window). The pop-up will disappear and the menu will open, no extra clicks needed.

2 Likes

Hmm doesn’t seem that fast to me. Google and MS have had AI; Apple is playing catchup. And Apple spent a decade trying to make Siri smarter before this.

1 Like

A matter of perception no doubt; but to me, it feels like modern technology is racing ahead at breakneck speed for no good reason. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

Well, welcome to my head-spinning career :-) It’s an arms race, for one thing. It’s also both a blessing and a curse: adding great value, but also complexity and disruption.

1 Like

It’s an arms race for one reason only: the unbridled greed that obsessively fuels almost every business decision in this crazy world. Technological innovation certainly does have the potential to add great value to our lives, but I seriously doubt that we as a species have the wisdom to wield such power responsibly. If we do, we’re certainly not showing it! If even a small fraction of the daily headlines concerning the business world’s shocking lack of integrity are true, the human race is in for a very bumpy ride indeed.

1 Like

Soooo, now that Sequoia’s been out for a few weeks, what are people’s experiences with regards reliability? If it’s ‘lacklustre’ it suggests to me it might have fewer issues than some recent releases.

I have installed it onto a spare machine but don’t really use it enough to gauge it’s stability. I’d actually like to update and try the Password app.

I’ve been using it since the day after its release and haven’t had any issues. iPhone mirroring has been a huge productivity boost for me, so it’s not been lacklustre from my perspective. And overall there are a number of nice little improvements. It’s the kind of release I like – one or two significant new features along with loads of small things that are better. I’m uninterested in the AI things at the moment, so the lack of them is irrelevant to me.

5 Likes

It’s been super-stable for me since installing a few weeks ago on my MBA. I’ll note that I don’t use a lot of third party utilities, like clipboard managers, etc. FWIW I am back to using Stage Manager because it runs better than it did on Sonoma (my issue on Sonoma was that the key combo to cycle between windows in an app, Cmd-`, would not return to the first window when you got to the last window in Stage Manager, but it worked fine with Stage Manager turned off - that’s fixed on Sequoia.)

5 Likes

Thank you, I hadn’t discovered it would go away if I ignored it. But I’ve never seen it before Sequoia.

1 Like

Out of curiosity, I tried the Passwords.app today. Exported passwords from 1PW and imported. Was told that several dozen had not been imported as they already existed (I assume it harvested them from saved passwords in Safari?) So I deleted all the passwords in the app and re-imported, but there were still some holdouts that were not imported as they already existed, and I’m not sure why. No passkeys were imported, but this might be because 1PW doesn’t include them in an export to .csv. I think I will continue to use 1PW, as it’s nice that it also holds secure notes and software licenses. But Passwords.app might do for my wife, who has refused to use 1PW (and for all I know, manages by using the same password everywhere. :astonished:)

2 Likes

For context of my experience, I do use quite a lot of third party utilities and it hasn’t been an issue.

(Here’s my menubar at the moment, though I am overdue a bit of a cleanup!)

1 Like

For me, another stable release with only minor issues: 1) As usual, Apple gave me a fresh httpd.conf file, which I had to replace from my standby I keep just for this reason (amusing to look in the /etc/apache2 directory and see now six versions of the file from the last six major OS releases); 2) My menu bar doesn’t look the same, but I can’t put my finger on what changed. I run in Dark mode, and I have Reduce Transparency on. I now have a plain black menu bar with white menu names and icons. Pretty sure it didn’t used to be black…but can’t say for sure what it was.

2 Likes

I’ve run into a handful of issues, but only one has been a daily frustration: Safari reliability. Even with all Safari extensions disabled and after drastically reducing the number of open tabs, I run into “NSURLErrorDomain” errors that prevent me from opening new tabs. The problem usually goes away after quitting and restarting Safari. I also have problems viewing the content of Outlook.com messages in Safari, i.e. the message list and other parts of the Outlook.com interface are fine, but the message content frequently won’t display. If I try to reload the page, the reload fails with an Outlook application error. This happens at least once a day.

In Sequoia, the Amazon Music app seems to have lost its ability to export music to a local Apple Music/iTunes library. This happens even though I’ve granted it access to the local library and given it full disk access. (I can work around the problem by manually downloading Amazon Music songs to my Mac and then manually importing them into Apple Music, but it is a significantly more laborious process than just clicking on a single “Export to iTunes” command.)

I’m still getting my share of annoying permissions prompts for various apps, and I’ve occasionally clicked too quickly on the wrong button, leaving me to fumble around to figure out how to correct a mis-applied permission.

Also, if you use Zoom, Teams, or other screen sharing apps, you’ll probably need to re-apply the various permissions needed to share your screen or files if you use those features.

Altogether, I’m really starting to reconsider how I use computers. I’ve always liked trying and using a lot of different apps, but it seems that the OS-driven friction of using and maintaining them keeps increasing over time. I’m seriously considering drastically reducing the number and kinds of apps I use and just focusing on the absolute essentials. It’s just not fun anymore for me.

4 Likes

The developer of well known accounting software “MacKonto” in Berlin/Germany has a big fat warning about SEQUOIA here: Sequoia Problems
(use Safari’s translate feature or deepl.com if your German is a bit rusty)

1 Like

Holy smoke, “data loss”! No thanks! Call me when it’s fixed!!

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I see that I am still being offered 15.0 in the software update part of System Settings, even though it is already installed.

Addendum: I clicked on details and it is actually 15.0.1. Will install and see if it solves the Firefox wretchedness.

And it worked! Firefox is back to its usual happy self, with all of the network access issues gone. I have heard that other browsers, even Safari, have been affected by this, so it seemed likely it was the 15.0 update itself causing it.