Safari 16.4.1

Originally published at: Safari 16.4.1 - TidBITS

Patches a WebKit security vulnerability in Monterey and Big Sur. (Free, various sizes, macOS 11+)

After updating to 16.4.1 I can’t clear history anymore without quitting and restarting Safari.

What happens when you try?

Adam,

I had 20 items in history and when I clicked on clear history, nothing was cleared. I quit Safari and started it up again and there were now only 5 items in history. When I clicked on clear history a second time everything was cleared.

I went to a few sites before writing this email and clicking on clear history removed all the items. Safari is not consistent in the way it clears history now…for me. In preferences I have remove history manually selected.

Marv

I have an issue with clearing Safari’s history but keeping website data, like cookies. There is a command under FILE that can do that. I also use the COOKIE app to delete’s Safari’s history when I quit Safari, and when I start using Safari.

I noticed that in the Safari ƒ in my user’s Library, there are 4 files that start with the word History and seem to be either deleted by COOKIE when I quit Safari or otherwise modified when I use the command to Clear History and Keep website data under the FILE menu.

Now, about once per week, somehow, my entire’s week’s history reappears. I do not share my history with my iOS app (Safari sync is turned off on my iOS device).

I am clueless as to where ELSE Apple’s stores Safari’s history.

Anyone know?

Thanks for listening