Safari 15

It defies logic.
When we organize, we start at the top with the general and then go down to the specific. This is a “rule” of logical thinking.
It makes absolutely no sense to put Favorites under tabs.
Ditto the stupid flip-flopping of the color at the top - it has the effect of a flashy effort to emphasize the trivial over the significant.
I thought that artsy guy who for several years made us suffer with thin grey print on white backgrounds had retired.
It took me a week to figure out that I could put a halt to this clownishness in Safari Preferences. If I hadn’t I’d be looking to switch to a different Mac browser by now.

I’m that weird person, I guess, who likes favorites under tabs. (Honestly I don’t care either way to be honest. If it was back above that would be fine, too). I prefer the chrome of the older design (tabs are just awful right now), but I honestly didn’t even remember that favorites were above tabs. I guess I get accustomed to interfaces quickly. Favorites under tabs means that I need to do slightly less mouse movement when I use the favorite bar (which I do a lot.) But it’s really not that much of a difference.

I just checked - favorites are below tabs on both Firefox and Chrome. This is really just the standard design, isn’t it?

Firefox and Chrome go even further, they put the tabs above the address bar. Firefox made that change just this year, I don’t know how long it’s been that way in Chrome. Chrome is by far the most popular browser, I guess Firefox and Safari are just following their example.

In Safari Technology Preview, the Favorite Bookmarks don’t show up at all. You have to go to “Show Sidebar” and click on Bookmarks to see favorites. It is why I am not switching to Safari 15. Please let me know if I am missing something.

There is a Show/Hide toggle in the View menu for whether the Favorites Bar is visible in a Safari window. That toggle has always been there, but the location of the Favorites bar changes in Safari 15 to be under the Tab Bar rather than above it. Note that you can actually show the content of any Bookmarks folder in the Favorites Var. You control that via the ‘Favorites shows’ preference in the General tab of Safari Preferences.

Pls forgive me for not reading the whole thread … has anyone crashed Safari the following way already?

Steps to reproduce:

• One Safari window (I don’t know whether it “works” with more windows also)
  • At least one pinned tab (I have ten)
  • Active tab is a “normal” tab (i.e. not one of the pinned tabs)
  • Close tab with cmd+W (which also closes the window)
  • Try to re-open last closed tab with cmd+shift+T
  • BOOM

Not me. I hate this also, feels totally wrong.

<edit>

I made a quick’n’dirty mockup of how I’d want it to be (even saves about two dozen pixels in height):

click to see it

Top is how it is now, bottom puts the favourites back where they belong.

</edit>

Anybody else observing URL bar entries not appear? You can type and what you type is being registered (I see updating suggestions), but there’s no displayed text or cursor. A Safari restart usually fixes it, for a few hours. I’m using the Compact option, wonder if that’s related.

In Safari I used to be able to drag the URL from the URL bar to my desktop to create a webloc file. Now when I do that it drags the tab out into its own window. If I then click on the page icon next to the URL and drag that out to the desktop I finally get the webloc file.

Any tricks as to how to get the webloc file by a direct drag rather than first having to open the tab in its own window?

I’m not sure what you’re seeing.

If I drag the tab, it opens in a new window.
If I click in the URL bar, then drag either the URL or the icon to the desktop, I get a webloc file as before.

Are you definitely dragging from the URL entry, not the tab?

I’m assuming you’re not using Compact mode. If Compact is selected, tab and URL bar are the same thing. That’s the root of the whole issue.

1 Like

I do not use the compact layout for Safari since I often have 20-40 tabs available on a window and also like having multiple toolbar icons. One thing I found confusing is that Safari defaults to showing the tab bar, even if only one tab is actually available. I found that I often tried to enter a new URL there rather than in normal area among the toolbar icons. I had no problem when multiple tabs were available. However, there is an ‘Always Show Tab Bar’ setting in the View dropdown menu that can be toggled off, solving the problem.

I’m not, but I just enabled it. If I click once in the tab, so the URL is shown, I can then drag it to get a webloc.

1 Like

Interesting. That’s apparently the change. Now the URL text has to be clicked on first, and only then once it’s showing selected, can it be dragged. Thank you.

I just tried it. For me:

• In “Separate” tab mode:
    • I can drag from the left edge of the location bar (where the “Add page to reading list” icon appears, which is also where the icon appears if I start editing the URL) to put a webloc on the drop-point.
    • Dragging from any tab simply opens the tab in a new window (or merges it back to an existing window)
  • In “Compact” tab mode:
    • If I click on the tab so I can start editing the URL, I can drag selected URL text, creating a webloc for only the selected text
    • Dragging anything else opens the tab in a new window (or moves it to an existing window if I drop it on another window’s tab-bar)