Rapid Security Response

I’ve finished update my late 2013 MBP (Big Sur), iPad and iPhone (latest IOS) with these installs. I spent 3-4 hrs going through the most byzantine setup path one could not possibly think of.

I followed the bouncing exchanges of multiple Apple Id password entry requests, being forced into changing it twice, being asked to enter “my MBP login” and for “Michael Noonan” (which was code for MBP). Then there was all the ID password updates for all the Apple Apps Safari, Photos, Mail, on all devices, and yes, even Siri. Who knew Siri needed password protection.
The ultimate end can when I was asked for a Passcode for my iPhone. A Passcode, not a Password. Never had one or heard of one. The frustrating part was that there was zero explanation about the difference even though the entry screen was identical. [Passcode I found later was a 4 or 6 digit code, while a Password was alpha-numeric special character related.]

I tapped out trying, and got 5 fails and each try later was ever increasing punishment to try it later (which increasing wait times). I quit when it was 10hrs for the next try. In the mean time’ trying to find a way out, when I was asked to change my password for the iPhone and messed that up and locked my self out.

I even was asked to enter my 28 character Recovery code as a last ditch effort to unblock the phone. Note: you cannot paste the code into the slot. It’s a manual entry that I probably performed at least 4 times.

Finally I went to beds 1 AM having borked my iPhone.

Early rising and took to reseting the iPhone from iCloud. Yeah! Something worked and restored my phone the yesterdays cloud backup.

Still wasn’t fully complete with the Settings which showed a red dot with a number in it. I batted down all but one and that was good enough for government work.

I stepped out to help a neighbor and came back to an app “add” running at 285% for the last 2 hours. I stopped all apps, rebooted, and everything calmed down. Still have a red dot in Settings. The iPhone still needs a Passcode. I still cannot find out how to enter one.

Ideas please Mike

The passcode is the code that you use to unlock the phone. The one you have to enter every once in a while when FaceID or touchid don’t work, etc.

The passcode is used as part of the method to encrypt iCloud Keychain so when you are asked for this it’s so the device you are using can get a key that one of your devices uses to unlock the Keychain and then create a unique key for that device.

2 Likes

Doug, thx for the reply but my question was how do I set up a pass code if I don’t have one. The passcode setting asks me for my old passcode before I can change it. In other words the system assumes I already have one.

Pls advise how to get around this assumption. I think this is an IOS issue
Thx Mike

You are saying that you don’t have a passcode, and never had one, on your phone at all?

I think, then, your question is one that should be answered by Apple.

(But you add a passcode in settings / Face ID and passcode or settings / Touch ID and passcode, depending on whether your phone has Face ID or a home button.)

1 Like

I don’t see how it’s remotely possible to not have a passcode, required of you during setup. You must have simply forgotten it.

What is the exact wording of the prompt you see?

I just got the same prompt, I guess. It states: “Confirm iPad passcode.

To continue using iCloud, confirm your iPad passcode. This passcode also protects access to data stored in iCloud.”

It is confusing because it does not pop up the normal numerical input.

But anyway, I entered the one and only numeric code that I use to unlock the iPad. It worked. So in my case, there is no second code now.

I had a look at my notes. One time I was in a situation where I had changed my passcode. I discovered I had to enter my old code. This happened once. The next time it was the current numbers.

Thank goodness someone else experienced this flaw.

Today I was able to clear 3 instances of the problem on my iPad and iPhone. The prompt message was changed to be more specific about “passcodes” for particular devices.

iPhone and iPad
Settings//Password & Security/Change Password screens asking for my MBP login and iPhone login displaying a row/column table.

iPhone
However, Settings, Touch Id & Passcode simply displayed “Passcode” and a row/column table.
I could not get past this screen to manage my fingerprints.

These tables were identical. The table was two rows numbered 0-4 and 5-9, and in cells numbered 2-8 are three letters of our 24-character language - ABC DEF… XYZ. By entering an alpha character in a cell this table turns it into a digit, e.g., ABC becomes a 2. The input line consists of 6 blank dots. Thus an alphabetic passphrase becomes a 6-digit passcode.

So yes, I did have a passcode unannounced to me but I never had a reason to enter this 6-digit code as such. However, I manually translated the passphrase into those 6 digits and entered them, which returned an error.

But what caused this? The Rapid Security Response Update? My installations on three devices
in late 2013 MBP, the latest Big Sur, latest IOS on iPad and iPhone were sporadic. Over time all were installed.

hmmm. At this time I was also trying to signup for the new Apple single passcode feature. More about this in a separate thread.

MIke

Is having a passcode required? I was able to turn off the passcode on my iPad just now, and I seem to recall, perhaps incorrectly, that I could opt to skip the step of setting up a passcode when I first set up the device.

I think many of us here find statements like this one perplexing. On occasions when your phone restarts, like after a software update, TouchID is not yet enabled, so you typically enter a code to unlock your phone. That’s your passcode for the device. Are you saying you never have to do that because you never set up a passcode, yet the device is asking you for one when you try to go to the TouchID settings?

@chirano
A software update is not the same as a reset (which wipes the device to factory settings). if a reset were performed all data, settings, accounts, … are lost.

Like the computer update, a software update slides under all your network, setting, accounts, etc. When you boot up your fingerprints (Touch Id) are there but will ask for a password. And my iPad/iPhone periodically asks for a password to see if I’m the owner.

1 Like

That’s the passcode. What you call a password for your phone is the passcode that your phone was asking for when you updated.

[edit] Just to add - it’s Settings / Face ID & Passcode (or TouchID & Passcode], not password.

Count me among those unimpressed with Ventura. I just got a refurb M1 and setting it up has been the least satisfying and least enjoyable new Mac experience I’ve had. I’m running the M1 from a TB external Monterey drive.

I imagine this is old news to most of you savvy folks here, but I had to search about online just to find out how to change the name of the blasted internal drive to something other than Macintosh HD. I may yet decide to wipe out Ventura on the internal drive.

Was there something that prevented you from just clicking the drive name on the desktop and editing it? Works for me in Ventura. Or Control-click it in the sidebar and choose Rename.

1 Like

Neither method worked. I don’t know why, but I had no access even though I am the admin account. I even reinstalled Ventura, in case the setup process had not completed correctly (saw that problem mentioned in Apple Discussions from others whose admin accounts were not working as expected). What finally worked was using Disk Utility, selecting the Data Volume, and then renaming that, which resulted in the drive finally appearing as something other than Macintosh HD. It could maybe be an APFS thing, but I have not run into disk renaming problems on Intel machines.