Problems with file sharing with Mojave

I’ve been unable to connect to my iMac running Mojave with my MacBook Pro, which is still on High Sierra, and I’m not the only one. It looks like it is not just a case of switching smb on, which was suggested in one Apple discussion thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8616638

I already had smb switched on on both machines, and switching off afp did not solve the problem. It turns out that it also affects machines that both run Mojave:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250388466

This apparently started with the latest Mojave update (10.14.5), which I also installed. File sharing works OK the other way around (starting the connexion from the iMac), but I synchronize folders between the two machines from my MacBook, so a connexion from the iMac is not a solution.
My workflow is quite hampered at the moment. Could some attention in TidBITS spur Apple to fix this problem soon?

I’ll look into it more. Thanks for the heads-up!

My understanding is that SMB has been the default for macOS file sharing since 10.9 Mavericks. But that doesn’t seem like it would be related here.

This happened to me once about 5 months ago (MacPro in High Sierra, sharing a couple of disks with 2 iMacs in High Sierra, and one laptop in Mojave, suddenly the Mojave laptop would not connect to the MacPro), and besides the SMB switch mentioned, I also changed the name of the server, turned off File Sharing and back on again, and rebooted all the machines. Luckily that fixed the problem for me, and (knock on wood), haven’t had issues since.

However, I am keen to know if there are other solutions or additional advice just in case as it was not fun (always seems to occur when deadlines approach, and not randomly on sleepy Tuesday afternoons).

Seconded. I recall having a smilar issue between an EC and a HS Mac. Like @seth I was eventually able to get around it by stopping/starting file sharing and rebooting, but it would be nice to know what the actual error is and how to fix it without resorting to Windows-esque voodoo methods. :wink:

This maddening problem is currently occurring now (and has been since last Thursday). Nothing I have done brings back file sharing (rebooting; toggling File Sharing; toggling SMB and/or AFP; restarting the LAN; renaming the File Share machine).

Does anyone have any suggestions to solve this?

This is a very old thread involving macOS 10.14.5, so unless you have not updated to 10.14.6 (18G87) you should start a new discussion.

Since 10.14.5 doesn’t seem to have been related, I’m just going to tweak the thread title to make it more generic.

Thanks, but my main point there was that the current poster needs to be running the latest version of Mojave in order for others to troubleshoot. I wanted Seth to confirm that he was up-to-date.

I don’t recall anything about the latest update specifically related to SMB. Am I misremembering?

From Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Update:

The macOS Mojave 10.14.6 update improves the stability and reliability of your Mac, and is recommended for all users.

This update:
• Makes downloaded issues available in the My Magazines section of Apple News+, both online and offline
• Adds all publications in Apple News+, including newspapers, to the catalog at the top of the News+ feed
• Adds the ability to clear downloaded magazine issues in Apple News+ by selecting History > Clear > Clear All
• Addresses an issue which prevents creation of a new Boot Camp partition on iMac and Mac mini with Fusion Drive
• Resolves an issue that may cause a hang during a restart
• Resolves a graphics issue that may occur when waking from sleep
• Fixes an issue that may cause fullscreen video to appear black on Mac mini
• Improves file sharing reliability over SMB

Since @alvarnell asked, I had this issue in 10.14.5, couldn’t fix it using the techniques that worked for me back in the spring (10.14.3? or 10.14.4?), updated to 10.14.6 last week, and still could not connect to my High Sierra Mac (running 10.13.5 and now 10.13.6).

In other words, for me, the update did not solve the issue.

Reading around the web (Apple forums, for instance), it does seem like there is (or was) serious problems with Apple’s proprietary implementation of SMB, but most of that is all way above my pay grade.

Also, I suppose I have a different idea of what “very old thread” means. I realize computer “time” is different than human “time”, but a few weeks doesn’t seem to be “very old”, at least to me. Why clutter up talk.tidbits with a question nearly identical to one already discussed?

tldr; what else can I try to connect my MacPro’s drives to my MacBookPro, without resorting to Sneakernet?

Update
using advice from Apple’s forums by user JaBaSc

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8616638?page=3

I turned on both SMB and AFP sharing on my High Sierra Mac, and using the “Connect to Server” ⌘ K, manually typed in my High Sierra server, using the afp:// protocol (instead of the smb:// I had been using). After, I also was able to connect via SMB, and so far, seems ok, though I haven’t copied any large files to or from the shared volume (which was the trigger of the original filesharing crash).
AFP might be deprecated by Apple, yet it still works as of now.