Printing from Mac Studio

OK…got my new Mac Studio yesterday and migrated from a clone of my 2019 iMac…everything works but printing.

I’ve got a Brother HL 5370DW printer that worked just fine from Monterey on the iMac as well as with Printopia for availability from iOS devices.…and in fact still works via either IP or Airprint.

Doesn’t work on the Studio though. Tried resetting the printing system, the printer is USB connected to the Studio in addition to having Airport in the printer and an IP since it’s on my network.

Adding the printer appears to work just fine and it’s using the CUPS driver for that model just as it does on the iMac. However…when I hit print I get a beachball for 3 or 4 seconds before the print dialog box pops up and then I select the printer and hit print. The job shows up in the print queue but then says “Stopped -‘Filter’ failed”. Same result trying to print via Airprint, USB, IP with IPP protocol or IPP with LPD protocol.

M1 14 MBP works as well via Airprint and IP

Airprint from my 2014 mini in the other room works just fine…as does IP via both IPP and LPD…so it’s appears to be something strange with the Studio.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Just a guess.
This sometimes occurs to me after a couple of days of struggling with an app: allow “Full Disk Access” or “Files and Folders Access” under System Preferences > Security and Privacy.
(I don’t know if the CUPS printer driver needs that to be turned on.)

1 Like

Is the CUPS driver migrated or freshly installed? Could it be needing Rosetta?

Matt and kcjw…thanks for the suggestions. It’s fixed now but I’m not sure exactly what fixed it.

I installed Rosetta 2 at some point yesterday when it asked me to but can’t remember if it was before or after the failure to print. Printopia is a universal app anyway but at the time I had the issue it wasn’t running…I had just recreated the printer (IP, AirPrint, etc) in System Prefs on the Studio and was getting failures printing directly from the Printers section. I would assume that the CUPS drivers are either universal as well or else that was what prompted me to load them but I don’t think I was in the add printers section when I got the Rosetta install prompt. I went ahead and gave Printopia full disk access anyway and today it works.

The only other thing that’s different today is that the old Intel iMac isn’t running anymore. It was previously running off of an external OWC SSD with Printopia installed and operating…and the internal drive on the iMac also had Monterey and Printopia installed as a backup boot drive. I used the OWC drive to migrate to the Studio and rebooted the old iMac to use as a screen sharing source as my Studio Display isn’t here yet…changed the name and IP of course since the old name/IP reservation in my router got inherited by the Studio but it was still up and running Printopia when I discovered the problem. Last evening I nuked the iMac and reinstalled Monterey from scratch in preps for sending it in under trade in over the weekend. So…the fact that it was running and sharing the printers could have been the issue…although I’m thinking probably not since I was connecting the printers to the Studio directly in Sys Prefs and not via Printopia on the iMac…but perhaps the fact that the printers were simultaneously shared from the iMac and available on the network was part of the problem.

In any event…problem solved today. Thanks for the suggestions…one of them or nuking the iMac solved the issue.

3 Likes

I have found that the default printer driver install is for the AirPrint version of the driver, ensuring that the regular version was the one installed fixed a similar issue for me.

I’ve noticed that this is becoming quite common - printer makers are just telling you to use AirPrint instead of shipping their own custom drivers.

According to what little I’ve been able find about AirPrint, the protocol appears to use Bonjour (and mDNS) to allow service discovery, including a list of supported formats. The most common format appears to be PDF, which make sense, since it is a page-description language that is functionally a subset of PostScript. An Apple-proprietary raster format called “urf” is a mandatory format and can (I assume) be used by printers that can’t support a more advanced format.

It uses a variation of IPP for the control-plane, which nearly all modern network-attached printers support.

Unfortunately, this also means that printer features beyond the scope of AirPrint may be inaccessible if there isn’t any other driver available. I’m thinking of things like custom paper sizes/types, resolution enhancemen/halftoning and other similar features. But AirPrint has evolved quite a bit since it was first introduced, so maybe the current version is robust enough for most uses. If so, it would explain why many printer vendors are ditching their legacy drivers for it.

Depending on your printer, you might also be able to use generic PostScript or PCL drivers with it, but these, being generic drivers, may not give you any more capabilities than AirPrint.

See also:

5 Likes