Prices Increase for Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, Apple News+, and Apple One

Those don’t make sense. 7 to 7.22 for example only reflects a limited timescale and doesn’t reflect global inflation rates properly either, which are often much higher than purely US ones.

So if you’re producing content in the UK for example, our inflation rate has been significantly higher than the US. Other countries too.

Should also add, that Apple are doing two other things: adding quantity (as Adam stated above), and also adding quality (of sorts, in terms of star A-list actors/directors driving interest in your service as a whole).

The quantity of releases slated for future release is increasing, while the quality here is these two blockbuster buy-ins (Napoleon and Killers Of The Flower Moon) each running hundreds of million each and having stellar casts/directors (Scorsese and R.Scott).

Apple clearly thinks both factors advantage the volume of users increasing and justifying their pricing increases. We’ll have to see, but I suspect they’re going to be proved correct when the figures come in.

1 Like

Excellent idea! I didn’t realize it was returning.

I also gave up my Hulu subscription. There was stuff I liked there (more than Apple TV+) but they keep on outsmarting my VPN and I usually can’t connect.

Serendipitously, I just signed in to the Mac App Store on my server M2 Mini and was just rewarded with 3 months free Apple TV, which will last until one day before my birthday. Obviously, I’ll be trying to extort more value out of that service until then, but still won’t be paying after then.

I just checked, and Game Of Thrones is available on Apple TV, so HBO and Apple are probably making a whole lot of money on this:

At the time it was released in 2011, Game Of Thrones was one of the, if not the, most expensive TV productions ever, and it was LOADED with an extremely huge cast + a number of humongous and unique crowd scenes, a huge amount of war battles, hand to hand combat. And there was an incredible number of sets, costume changes, makeup, weaponry, etc. in addition, Game Of Thrones also spent a huge fortune on PR as well as advertising and marketing. It was developed and shot more like movies than just another episodic TV show. The only thing they chinzed on was a comparatively low budget of talent, though some of the cast did get other work… And HBO recently released a prequel GOT series.

When HBO began shooting Game Of Thrones, TV was getting terrIbly clobbered by DVDs of movies and streaming episodic programming. My guess is that HBO revived GOT with a second season not long ago because of the continually expanding success of streaming services and availability from Apple and other services.

We cancelled Apple TV+ when it went up last time. For us it was barely worth it at the earlier price.

If they increase Apple Music again we’ll probably cancel that too. There are alternatives.

Here we could always book our seats for the cinema, and we had a fair idea of how long the adverts ran, so we’d just arrive close to the end of the adverts to avoid having to watch them. It isn’t just that the adverts are mostly stupid, but they also run them at distortion level volumes.

The cinema was always an occasional treat when I was growing up, many decades ago, because it was too expensive to go regularly. Buying snacks in the cinema was therefore definitely out of the question. As a result in my family we’ve always just snuck in our own. Even popcorn. Now cinema prices are even more astronomical - about three times the inflation adjusted price it was when I was a child.

We never even started using Apple TV+ At home. None of their relatively tiny list of content has sounded very compelling. We have watched some TV+ stuff at the homes of family and friends and we didn’t think Ted Lasso or any other of their shows to be compelling enough that it would be would be worth dumping Netflix or the channels we have in our cable bundle.

Netflix has an exceptionally humongous library that they very, very constantly update. They constantly add new and classic programming. It wasn’t terribly long ago we rewatched The Sopranos on HBO, and we love Turner Classic Movies too. And we both were hooked on Stranger Things, The Crown, Mindhunter, and me with Call The Midwife and Orange Is The New Black on Netflix, to name just a very few. And Netflix is consistently adding lots of new and classic content.