Please Follow TidBITS in Apple News!

(Karen Hughes) #21

Done here in Scotland too (I’d done it when I first found out that TidBITS was on Apple News). I noticed that I wasn’t seeing stories though, so I’ve gone through and clicked the “heart” icon on some of the individual TiDBITS news items that were of particular interest and some of these same items now seem to be filtering into the main feed.

(Adam Engst) #22

Sorry to hear it wasn’t working before—I’m so glad I shook the trees until I finally got through to someone at Apple. Maybe it would have all started working properly on its own, but maybe not. With luck, we’ll start seeing more organic recommendations to people who don’t already know about TidBITS.

(Andrew James) #23

Done here in Australia (although I don’t use Apple News). TidBITS needs to be promoted - too good not to have more readers benefit!

(Steve Sorbo) #24

Unknown

(Tori Hernandez) #25

Thank you. I had Tidbits in Apple News but now my “heart” has been added.

(m.mcgraw@att.net) #26

I’ve just signed up on Apple News to follow TidBITS. AN is not a tool I typically use, but…

AN seems pretty fussy. Most of the TidBITS categories showed as empty (or server error) until I’d walked back and forth through them several times. Seems to be OK now although the pie chart show up at the top of every category. :upside_down_face:

(Adam Engst) #27

Thanks for the follows, everyone! I’ll report back in a bit once the stats settle down and we can see what the effect has been.

I do hope that Apple News gets less flaky. Maybe you don’t notice when you’re using it casually, but whenever I poke hard or do things like you just did with looking into every section, it clearly isn’t working right.

(Will M) #28

I had never used News before, but I added TidBITS as a followed source. Today (after about a week of using News), a TidBITS article appeared on the For You page!

(Adam Engst) #29

Yay—thank you! We saw a huge spike in followers—about 1000—and now I’m waiting for things to settle down to see how much it increases organic traffic.

There’s a lot of potential to grow readership for TidBITS here. Some news from the latest Apple earnings call:

“The number of articles that people read in the free, ad-supported Apple News app more than doubled in the quarter compared to a year ago, Cook said. And the number of third-party video subscriptions that Apple has sold increased by “like 100 percent year over year,” he said.”

https://digiday.com/media/apple-tops-300-million-paid-subscriptions-reportedly-preps-new-subscription-services/

Maybe subscription video for the Content Network?

ace
Adam Engst

August 8

Yay—thank you! We saw a huge spike in followers—about 1000—and now I’m waiting for things to settle down to see how much it increases organic traffic.

There’s a lot of potential to grow readership for TidBITS here. Some news from the latest Apple earnings call:

“The number of articles that people read in the free, ad-supported Apple News app more than doubled in the quarter compared to a year ago, Cook said. And the number of third-party video subscriptions that Apple has sold increased by “like 100 percent year over year,” he said.”

https://digiday.com/media/apple-tops-300-million-paid-subscriptions-reportedly-preps-new-subscription-services/

Maybe TidBITS should also think about adding Content Network video subscriptions to the mix?

(Adam Engst) #32

We’ll see what happens over time, but I’m generally quite suspicious of such stats from the perspective of an individual publisher because we’ve seldom seen anyone deliver on traffic promises.

For the line in the sand, from August 2nd through August 8th, we had 831 unique viewers in Apple News and 1731 total article views. In comparison, Google Analytics says that our Web site saw 40,840 users and 51,736 pageviews in that time. In other words, Apple News is about 2.5% of our Web traffic right now. That’s way better than when it was 0% two weeks ago, but still far from game-changing.