Pixelmator Pro 1.5.4

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/watchlist/pixelmator-pro-1-5-4/

Adds the new ML Super Resolution feature, which makes it possible to increase the resolution of images while keeping them sharp and detailed. ($39.99 new, free update, 187 MB)

Gave it a go. Quite impressive in fact especially compared to alternatives such as Topaz AI Gigapixel which sells for a good deal more. There is still some artifacting here however. With any of these it’s still more a developing area which may end up resulting in hitting the mark for pros but a ways to go yet…

I purchased a copy to check out the machine learning functionality. The Super Resolution function seems to work very well (I have 3 mPix images shot with a Kodak DC4800 camera on a trip to Antartica many years ago). The ML Enhance function is nothing special - I can easily get the same or bettter results with Levels or Curves in other applications. The ML Denoise function is a dud - way too aggressive and destroys needed detail. They asked for some samples and I sent them my test images. There is no “intensity” control for ML Denoise and it needs it,

David

So I keep looking for Version 1.5.5, yet the most recent version that is listed, either on the Mac App Store OR on the developer’s website is still 1.5.4. Is this a typo in your article or are you reporting on an advance release?

Well, I’m not sure how I got things so wrong, but I did. I apologize, and have changed this to version 1.5.4.