Permissions error?

I have an SSD with all the installer disks from Maverick forward, plus it has a large number of both Apple Hardware Tests and Apple Service Diagnostics for common family/work models. Super handy, and way, way faster than (most) thumb drives.

Where can one obtain the AHT and ASD, or is that proprietary for Apple technicians?

In your case, you probably don’t want to; but sometimes a system is so hammered that the installer doesn’t want to run properly in the current system environment; it is also required if you are downgrading your system, or installing to certain types of disks recognized as external (even though they might be hosted internally via expansion cards); many external USB drives have this limitation.

The advent of the hidden Recovery Disk, and the Internet Recovery method on modern Macs has made this largely obsolete for all but the tech savvy or the desperate, guided by the tech savvy.

I’m sorry for confusing your thread with general knowledge for others who might be reading.

The (simplistic, incomplete) AHT was included with your computer; if it is an older model, it’s on your installer disks (usually Disk 2); if newer, it’s available in Recovery mode.

ASDs (comprehensive, verbose, customizable, vigorous) being “proprietary”, especially for vintage models, is a [cough] matter of opinion; if you’re in need [cough] of a particular model series ASD disk image, a private message [cough] is a better way to avoid catching my cough.

All done. Took maybe 30 min. The OS installer didn’t give me an opportunity to run Disk First Aid — maybe that’s a Recovery mode feature? — but I had done a full disk scan using Onyx about a week ago, when I thought Onyx would address the permissions problem for me. So assuming all’s OK for now.

Many thanks to everyone for helping walk me through this.

BTW I’ve opted not to upgrade to High Sierra, much less the newest macOS, given the age of my system (2012-vintage Macbook Pro, the last one with an optical drive, and with an SSD replacing the original hard drive). Only reasons I’ve considered upgrading the system are to take advantage of newer versions of Keynote and Pages, which I hardly ever use. Am I missing anything important? Syncing with other devices isn’t a priority.

I suppose I should go into Recovery mode and check the hardware using the aforementioned AHT at some point before long?

Thanks again,

Brian

briantvt
All done. Took maybe 30 min. The OS installer didn’t give me an opportunity to run Disk First Aid — maybe that’s a Recovery mode feature? — but I had done a full disk scan using Onyx about a week ago, when I thought Onyx would address the permissions problem for me. So assuming all’s OK for now.

Yes, that’s a Recovery Mode capability.

Many thanks to everyone for helping walk me through this.

BTW I’ve opted not to upgrade to High Sierra, much less the newest macOS, given the age of my system (2012-vintage Macbook Pro, the last one with an optical drive, and with an SSD replacing the original hard drive). Only reasons I’ve considered upgrading the system are to take advantage of newer versions of Keynote and Pages, which I hardly ever use. Am I missing anything important? Syncing with other devices isn’t a priority.

I certainly think so. I’m running both on my 2011 iMac (for testing purposes)and Sierra gives me fits. They never did bother to fix a lot of bugs, just accepted them and solved many in High Sierra. I still have issues with App and background updates that never complete in Sierra. Those both went away early on in HS.

As to important new features, I’d have to think about that. I guess I’d have to say APFS is the most important in your case, since you have an SSD. Despite what you may have heard, the bugs have all been squashed and documentation is slowly being released so that drive utilities will all be fully functional again.

That said, you did the right thing by attempting to solve the permissions problem in you current OS first. Just consider trying the update after confirming your original issue has been put to bed. You can always give it a try on an external first. Won’t be quite as fast, but at least you’ll know if there are incompatibility issues that would be prohibitive.

I suppose I should go into Recovery mode and check the hardware using the aforementioned AHT at some point before long?

Not really Recovery mode. Hold the D-key at startup. Details are at How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac - Apple Support

If you ignore the bad UI design that keeps you focused entirely in the center of the screen, and look up in the Menubar, you’ll realize that the Installer is just an app, and you can access other apps (Disk Utility, Terminal,etc), and perform other commands outside Install.

Glad you’re all sorted out; don’t forget to check for updates and reenable Sophos.

Thanks again! One pair of apps. I still use daily where I’ve wondered about High Sierra compatibility is Word/Excel 2011. Does anyone know? I could update at low cost from my academic account, but newer versions are reported to be terribly clunky.

How do I find the High Sierra installer on the App Store? It’s not showing up after several attempted searches.

All set. Found a link on MacUpdate that took me to the correct AppStore page. Weird that I couldn’t get there with a simple search…

In case anybody else is interested, you can find the link here (at least for the US store): https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969

Office 2011 works fine under Mojave and worked under High Sierra as well for me…although my usage is light to medium and mostly Excel. It won’t work under whatever comes next as it’s not 64 bit…so I’ll either have to pay the bucks to upgrade or switch to Numbers and Pages. I would be fine with Pages but haven’t really worked with Numbers enough to know whether I’ll find the interface a pain in the rear…I’ve been using Excel so long that I know how it works.

My wife will want to upgrade so she doesn’t have to learn Numbers…but she really only does one spreadsheet…her bicycle racing fantasy team tracker…and it’s simple enough to work fine in Numbers albeit it won’t look like it does in Excel and she’ll have to figure out how to use Numbers.

I’m still using MS Office 2011 with High Sierra and no issues. Not a heavy user, but Excel is still my go-to for many needs.

I did just purchase Office 365 a week or so ago, but have not had time to install.

Most Excel junkies I know who refuse to go subscription intend to run Excel for Mac in a VM; combine it with iCloud/Dropbox/Shared Folders, and it will feel seamless (on a fast enough Mac).

I’ve also got a couple users (they claim) successfully using the Windows version of Excel using Crossover for Mac (WINE project; great support and active development).

I still run Excel 2008 in a VM; I’m not as hard core as I used to be; mostly what I need now (new) I’m content with Pages, but it is frustrating at times when I try to use Excel muscle memory and have to remind myself how to instead do it in Numbers.

That’s an idea worth considering.