PDF annotation app suitable for a proofreader?

PDF Toolkit + does a good job in concatenating and segmenting PDF files. I think it was free.

Another one is BookletCreator is putting books together.

I think everyone agrees that marking up PDFs is clumsy by comparison. If it’s needed because proofing has been left till too late in the production cycle, that’s a pain. But for checking layouts it can’t really be avoided. The job that prompted my original rant was an English-language report for a German company. Even if the original text is perfect, things like quotation marks and decimal points always end up “German” when the layout people re-type them into pull-quotes, or someone adjusts a heading to make it fit. Markup like that was quicker in the days of paper!

1 Like

I have found it depends on who is going to read the markup. For example, I use Skim & PDF Expert (for different purposes), but comments in Acrobat only show the first line in the others - leading to me making some bad errors as I’d not seem the whole conversation. So I’ve found Acrobat my main tool when working with others and skim when just for me.

1 Like

By the way, I want also to recommend PDF Squeezer, which does a great job of reducing the size of PDFs. It’s quick, simple, and cheap. I always used to have trouble with massively oversized PDFs that were hard to email or upload to our LMS, and this really helped that situation.

Just a satisfied customer.

1 Like

I was all ready to jump in with an answer — PDF EXPERT, of course! I’ve been using it for years to serve nearly all my note-taking and editing needs, and if I had to proof-read PDFs, I’d load PDF Expert in a heartbeat —long before wasting my time with that kludgy, infuriatingly error-prone Acrobat Copycat called PDF Nitro.

I strongly believe you can do all the tasks you enumerate with PDF Expert, but if I had the workload you imply having, I wouldn’t bother.

Instead, I’d go the route @silbey recommends, viz., importing your PDF into the latest release of Word—then proofing it, duplicating the proofed Word .docx, then converting one copy to PDF, and returning both the corrected .docx file and the corrected PDF to your client.

As you say, no other editor does the fine-grained job of editing —and tracking edits!— that is the specialty of Word, and no other word processor is as compatible with iOS, MacOS and Windows. So, why fight it? Word both edits AND tracks your edits with far less effort than Acrobat Pro.

AND, when it comes to splicing or dividing PDFs, no other software works as well as Preview for MacOS. Again, why fight it?

All this said, if you want a demonstration of how to proof documents with PDF Editor, I’m pretty sure it can be done. Just give me a sample page, tell me what you want done—and I’ll get out my oil can and endeavor to comply. If it turns out you’re right and I’m wrong, no hard feelings. You’re right, I’m wrong, and I’ve learned something. But why waste time? Simply do as @silbey recommends.

3 Likes

Arthur Johnson is deeply wise.

2 Likes

So is @silbey :sunglasses: ! I must natter on for another sentence in order to be approved for this thread, so here we are.

2 Likes

LOVE PDF Squeezer! I like simple, dedicated apps/utilities like this that don’t try to be a “Jack of all trades.”

1 Like