Parallels Desktop 16.5

Originally published at: Parallels Desktop 16.5 - TidBITS

Brings full native support for Mac computers with the Apple M1 chip. ($79.99 annual subscription for standard edition or $99.99 perpetual license, 1.4 MB, macOS 10.13.6+)

Crazy fast: Running Debian, Ubuntu, Windows 10 (Thanks to Glenn for great article on this).
Ran hardinfo on the linux units, came up as fast as our blade servers here.
Macbook Air m1, mac mini m1…
aloha
b

Worth noting that as far as I can see from the detail specs of Desktop 16, if you run it on Apple silicon the guest operating systems it can support are radically limited.

https://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/resources/

Yep! We covered this quite a bit in

With your thoroughness, Adam and Glenn, I’m not surprised. However, I though the point was worth highlighting. For reasons that are too tedious to explain and risk getting me sneered at, I maintain an OSX 10.6 virtual machine, which is ‘mission critical’ even though my ‘mission’ is somewhat diluted these days. If (in my dreams) I were to upgrade to an M1-chipped Mac Pro when it appears, it seems I could whistle at the sky as far as all my old and very costly Adobe software is concerned.

1 Like

Yeah, I understand. I think this problem will be solved eventually, perhaps via Microsoft’s emulation of Intel apps within Windows for ARM, but it will be a while still.

If you require a 10.6 VM, can I assume that these old Adobe apps are PowerPC apps?

If so, you may want to look at the QEMU emulator. According to Emaculation, it can run MacOS 9.2 through 10.5. The emulation is not perfect (in particular, audio problems), but it might be good enough for your needs.

QEMU doesn’t currently exist for the M1 platform (as far as I know), but I’m sure this support will eventually be added. If you have installation media for an old PPC version of MacOS, you might want to try it today on your x86 Mac in preparation for creating an M1 installation in the future, when it becomes possible.