PageMaker nostalgia

Not here, thank you. The complaints get old really, really fast.

4 Likes

OK. I agree. A forum to speak up for what we want from software developers rather than complain about what we are getting: 1) Software we can buy rather than rent. 2) UI and functions that work the way we need them to work. 3) What we like about software we are getting.

The “Sour Grapes Forum” idea was for the fun of complaining, something we all know how to do. The constructive approach, of course, is to ask for what we want. The point in the end is doing something to affect the change we want. Positive suggestions are certainly a more productive way to change things.

It’s a fine idea to start a topic here with practical suggestions for a specific app. Small developers in particular are often open to constructive ideas for making their apps better, especially when they’re concrete and achievable.

Phrasing ideas as “It would be great and I’d work more productively if…” can be an effective approach.

1 Like

I had limited exposure to Pagemaker when I first started working in publishing. At one time we thought it was ok but not long after buying Quark we realised just how terrible Pagemaker was. There were collective ‘sighs’ around the office whenever a Pagemaker job would arrive with people actively trying to avoid it.

Count me as one who looks back on Pagemaker with little fondness.

1 Like