Nonstop whining about how Apple sucks

Here’s the thing. In my worldview, the guy at the top is ultimately the one responsible.

A few examples perhaps.

Ed Kelliher founded Southwest Airlines. It isn’t the same experience flying Southwest since Ed retired and subsequently passed away.

The new CEO is more serious and took the fun out of flying Southwest.

Howard Schultz founded Starbucks. Maybe you remember those nice big leather easy chairs that were so comfortable.

After Howard retired, the new CEO got rid of those chairs. Comfortable chairs encouraged customers to linger. The new CEO wants more turnover. Come in, get you drink, drink it or better yet take it to go, but please don’t linger. We got you money. Please leave.

Zuck defines Facebook.
Sergei & Larry define Google
Marc Benioff defines Salesforce.
Travis Kalanick used to define Uber. The new CEO is trying to redefine the company.

The CEO always defines the culture , the direction, and the standards of performance. It always permeates the entire organization.

So, it is no different at Apple. Everything that the company does at every level is ultimately the CEO’s responsibility. Apple today reflects Tim Cook. Where does he focus his energies? Up to you to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing. No whining.

But an interesting question would be what gets an employee fired at Apple? Whatever the answer is, I will guarantee you it is different under Tim Cook than it was under Steve Jobs.

The answer to that question would be enlightening.

I used to know a very senior executive who always asked that question in final interviews. “Other than fraud, moral turpitude, drunk or drugged on the job, or hitting someone, what does someone have to do here to get fired?”

1 Like

So, it is no different at Apple. Everything that the company does at every level is ultimately the CEO’s responsibility. Apple today reflects Tim Cook. Where does he focus his energies? Up to you to decide if that is a good thing or a bad thing. No whining.

According to US law, the CEO reports to the Board Of Directors, who are elected by the shareholders. The Board has the ultimate responsibility of hiring and firing the principals of the company and they answer directly to shareholders.

Remember when Apple’s first Board denied Steve Job’s request to be CEO and Woz’s to be President because they were too inexperienced? And when Apple CEO John Scully, who Steve and the Board recruited to be CEO, dethroned Steve as King Of Macintosh and Steve went whining to the Board Of Directors, the Board told him Scully’s way or the highway. After Scully and yet another CEO were canned by the Board, Gil Amelio was brought in and within a year Apple bought NeXT to acquire Steve. When Apple’s stock tanked even more and Jobs quickly convinced the Board to fire Amelio, and Jobs became CEO. The rest is history.

Travis Kalanick, Uber’s first CEO, was unceremoniously fired by the company’s Board Of Directors after pressure from its largest investor and their Board Of Directors. Kalanick still makes claims in the press to the press that Uber’s Board will reannoint him as CEO just like Apple’s Board did for Steve Jobs, and like Jobs, he will lead the company to financial health.

Apple’s current Board is clearly happy with, and supportive of, Tim Cook. I agree.

1 Like

I just wanted to say that I was surprised to see this showing up in my email. I haven’t noticed people whining and complaining about Apple like that. Maybe we hang out with different crowds. :slight_smile:

I Teach a Sunday volunteer class for mostly (but not all) seniors, and we usually spend our time with iPhones, iPads, and Macs (and a couple of Windows people). The Apple users seem to enjoy their Apple ecosystem - as do I. We love AirDrop particularly! It’s fun and easy for sharing things with people in the group. Anyway, I haven’t seen all this whining going on in places I hang out in online.

I’m with you on that. Copy and paste forum demons and those who just pile up unrelated information in very specific technical threads are a real nuisance. I have another dozen complaints about Apple which I’m keeping to myself until relevant, such as the defective water damage pieces of paper and the deterioration of Apple Care and the extreme environmentally unfriendly policies of Apple (nothing they build since 2011 can be cost-effectively repaired, creating mountains of electronic waste).

As Apple continues to behave badly towards the world and continues to bully users (no jailbreaking on iOS and a slow lockdown of Mac OS; participation in Prism since 2012) means Apple gets far less of my money (spend dropped from $5000+/year to $500/year), I won’t use their phones or their Cloud platform at all.

I understand Adam’s frustration. He’s dedicated his life to sharing the goodness and bounty of Mac OS (first Classic and now OS X). He comes from a positive point. When you really believe in something or someone, it’s very hard to accept that the person/culture you loved has changed. Divorcing Apple (partially) was painful for me as well. I now treat Apple as I would Microsoft, it’s defensive computing. This means using older computers which haven’t been locked down, using only mature versions of the Mac OS on production computers (I have one up to date Mac Pro to use with latest FCPX but its voyage stops at Mojave), avoiding any Apple services, blocking Mac OS attempts to phone home (Little Snitch), dropping iPhones (with the 3G) and not using most Apple applications (iTunes, Photos, iMovie; exception made for FCPX as it’s the only video editors which handles 4K well on 2011 hardware).

This doesn’t mean I don’t continue to support Apple publishers like Adam or Apple third party application developers. The Apple platform continues to include the world’s best developers, guys like Michael Tsai, Peter Lewis, Gus Mueller, the teams at ObjectivDev and Ergonis to name jus a few. As long as I can continue to independently install and use their applications on Mac OS X, I’ll continue to participate in some way in the Apple ecosphere.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification and background.

Of course the board has the ultimate responsibility. Board members are generally outsiders and look more at financial results and news about the company. Very top level, probably never spend any time in the bowels of the organization unless on a carefully staged guided tour.

So unless someone the board trusted presented substantial information to them, they would not know if Apple was getting sloppy in its execution or not. They’ll be the last to know when the financials show the results of management’s decisions. Financials are lagging indicators.

And the board doesn’t always make the right decision.

The Apple board hated Ridley Scott’s classic 1984 TV ad. The board decided that ad would be a disaster for Apple and wanted to kill and bury it. It’s all in Walter Issacson’s book.

The board ordered that Apple try to resell all the millions of dollars worth of spots they had ordered for the Superbowl. And Apple management complied and sold the spots. Probably at a loss.

They sold all but one spot. They couldn’t sell that one and had little choice but to run 1984. The ad has probably been seen a few million times, and no amount of money could buy that level of publicity. TV stations were running the ad for free in their newscasts. Probably it will go down in the history books as the greatest television ad of all time.

But in the real world it only ran on TV as a paid ad ONE time. And that was one time too many for Apple’s board. Steve Jobs loved that ad.

Imagine if the board had gotten their wish and the ad was never seen by any member of the public. That it remained an Apple secret. We likely wouldn’t even be discussing Tim Cook because Apple would be dead already.

I will give Tim Cook credit for implementing the laundry list Steve gave him before Steve passed. And the financial results were outstanding. As they should be because Tim Cook keeps his eyes on the quarterly results, which up until lately have been good.

He’s what we call a “bean counter” and “temperature taker”. His actions are not designed to please customers, be innovative, bet the company kinds of decisions. Steady as she goes.

They are designed to please his bosses, the Board of Directors by delivering strong financial results every quarter. But you well know what happens to people and companies that get complacent.

For the first time in a long time, Apple is forecasting a decline in iPhone sales and the iPhone is the cash cow that drives the company. And the final assembly and many components come from China. And America’s relationship with China is not exactly going well. In fact, we’re in an economic war with China.

Will Apple services replace the lost hardware revenue? Will people dump Hulu or DirectTV or Netflix to subscribe to Apple’s offering? Will they drop Pandora or Spotify or Amazon for Apple Music? If the services are just copycat services, it might be hard to get people out of their status quo rut.

The essential question is whether Tim Cook is the guy who will lead the company to make these services great and clearly superior. It’s a bet the company decision. Apple gets one chance to get it right.

Sloppy doesn’t fly.

I couldn’t agree more.

Steve Jobs (I know he’s dead and we should not compare Tim Cook to Steve Jobs but I’m going to anyway) used to count clicks. He hated having to click more when less would do.

In iOS, if you waned to switch from the handset to the speaker the phone used to be smart. If the choice was binary, handset or speaker, it only took ONE CLICK. Done! If the choice wasn’t binary, like Speaker or Headset, you got the secondary menu.

Now in the iOS 13 beta, even though the choices are still binary it takes two clicks. The first one is the icon in a circle which used to be all you needed but now brings up a menu of choices at the bottom.

There is still ONLY ONE CHOICE,

Two clicks when one would do. Again, you can say I’m whining but every time I have to click twice in two different places, my mind is screaming "Why? This is stupid. It was better before Apple ‘improved’ it ".

I reported it as a bug.

I think I found the right words to describe Tim Cook’s Apple: SLOPPY or THOUGHTLESS. The opposite is PRECISE and THOUGHTFUL.

It’s not that Apple’s software is bad. It isn’t.

It’s that the company itself has gotten sloppy (I’ve submitted many examples in my posts and there were other examples even today from others, like the SLOPPINESS of reinserting insecure code into an update) and sadly it is apparently the new normal.

No one at Apple gets fired for sloppiness. Hey, mistakes happen. Relax. Chill. We’ll fix it.

But if there are no consequences for sloppy performance, it will only increase. Sad.

1 Like

Here’s my assessment:

• Maps: What I like better about Google Maps is the street view. It’s convenient to look at the building to see what it looks like, or to see if any parking lots are around.

Besides that, they’re both pretty much the same for directions. Sometimes Google gives better directions. Sometimes it’s Apple. The most recent version of Google Maps is easier to read, but before that, it was Apple. I still like the way Apple shows you the turns better. On Apple Maps, it shows you the angle of the turn. On Google, all turns are right angles. Apple gives you more accurate destination times. Google shows more points of interest.

One thing I do notice consistently, Apple gives you alternate directions much quicker than Google when something happens on the road. If a road is suddenly closed, Apple will route you around it within 15 minutes of the closure. Google can take an hour to notice something is wrong. Neither will necessarily mark a road as closed, but Apple will route you around the obstruction the soonest. I’ll use Apple Maps even when I know the way just because if there’s an accident on my standard route, I am likely to get the alert on Apple Maps.

• Finder: It may not have the bells and whistles of other file browsers, but it does a good job. I have Path Finder and at one time, it was the only way I’d use a Mac. However, since then, Finder has added a few features (like tabs) while Path Finder has run into issues about file refresh and working with iCloud. I’ve switched back to Finder.

• Mail: Over the years, I’ve found that the more features a mail program has to help you handle your mail, the less likely you’re actually going to handle your mail. Apple’s mail is simple. Searching seems fast. That’s all I need. I read my mail, replay when I have to, and that’s it. I don’t remove mail from my inbox and I search if I need to find something.

It’d be nice if Mail did a better job with formatting, but the weak formatting tools mean I don’t format my emails. I punch out what I need to say, and say it.

• Siri: I use Siri quite a bit. What it does, it does well. Google Assistant can do more like buy movie tickets or query my plane reservations, but getting that query right can be a problem. My son once bought movie tickets on Google Assistant to prove how it works better. However, he didn’t specify which Lowes Theater, and got his ticket at the wrong one. In Siri, I have to complete the task manually, but I can make sure it’s right.

Both fail to get tickets to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood because they both gave me the movie times and theaters in Hollywood, Florida.

I think the thing we forget is that we’re not Apple’s core market. One time, Apple’s market was highly geek driven. Our party has been invaded by average non-tech people. Apple’s apps are for them. Mail is simple. Siri is simple. Reminders is simple. Photos is simple.

Does Apple listen to its users? Look at Messages. I hate all the stupid features, but there is a ton of love for it. People love the new custom emoticons. People love the stickers. People switch from Android to the iPhone because of Messages.

You might think it’s dumb and stupid. Heck, I do. But, this is the killer feature for the iPhone.

1 Like

Well said!

Constant whining is the main reason I rarely read MacInTouch much anymore, in spite of the fact that many posters are well-informed. Too much snarky complaining.

Adam I could not agree more I have just rad the comment below yours where the poster puts down Apple in a an oh so sophisticated manner, if one dislikes the products and services so much one has a choice. Discontinuing the use of and future purchase of a company’s products and services is a far more effective and adult way to express one’s concern/dislike.
We are fortunate to live in a system that emphasises choice so just do that exercise your choice and show how really sophisticated you are instead of writing whiny pieces, vote with your wallet and for heavens sake get a life.

1 Like

It’s the odd numbers.

Everyone’s forgotten the only the odd numbered apple OSs work. System 1, 3, 5, 7… We’ve been stuck on this even-numbered 10 for way too long.
:nerd_face:

So imagine you live in a small town. And in this town there is one steak restaurant. And you’ve been there many times so to your way of thinking, they have the best damn steak you’ve ever tasted.

And one day you go in there and your favorite waiter doesn’t work there any more. But OK, he’s not like the guy that knew you by name but he’s nice enough. So you order your favorite steak,

And it comes out tough and way too unndercooked. And you ask the waiter what happened to the baked potato with all the fixings that used to come with it. And the waiter says they hired a new chef and you have to pay extra for the baked potato.

You’re not happy but your buddy Mike Sanders says “Don’t be a whiner. Just be quiet, eat the undercooked tough steak without the baked potato. We just won’t come here anymore. They don’t deserve our business”.

And you remind Mike that if everyone is served tough meat not cooked to their liking and no one speaks up, the restaurant will go out of business from all the people that went somewhere else.

Mike says that’s capitalism. No excuse to whine. Just be quiet and don’t make a scene. We’ll go somewhere else next time. Oh, and Mike thinkss his steak is perfect just the way it is. But Mike is easily pleased, he thinnks Papa John makes the world’s best pizza. Mike has a life, unlike you.

And you remind Mike that every other restaurant for as far as you can see serves only FISH, not steak. Now it may be the most delicious, perfectly grilled, freshest fish on the planet and cost half as much as the tough undercooked steak, but you really don’t like fish. In fact you’re allergic to fish.

So despite Mike’s admonition to be quiet and eat the damn meat, you decide you are going to call the waiter over and complain (or as Mike calls it whine) about how much you don’t like the steak and would he please take it away and make a new one correctly. And please include the baked potato, You’ll pay the additional charge.

Now there are people who have Mike’s personality. To Mike, it’s all ok if the steak is tough and undercooked, he’ll eat it that way and not say a word. In fact, Mike loves his steak blood red.

And there are other people like you who want what they want and will ask for exactly what they want and keep asking, even if they ask ten times and get ten undercooked tough steaks. Because the chef is buying cheaper meat and isn’t a very good chef. And the only other alternative is fish.

The moral of the story? You and Mike shouldn’t be having dinner together anymore.

2 Likes

The Apple board hated Ridley Scott’s classic 1984 TV ad. The board decided that ad would be a disaster for Apple and wanted to kill and bury it. It’s all in Walter Issacson’s book.

I’m not at home and don’t have my copy of Isaacson handy, but I don’t remember that they really hated about it was that they didn’t want the Macintosh budget blown on the Super Bowl. I suggest you read “Memoirs Of A Mad Man” by the Account Director who worked at Chiat/Day on 1984, who goes into detail about the whole process. I have been working in advertising for about 45 years, and I worked with, and still am friends with, a Media Director who worked at Chiat/Day as a planner on Apple the time.

What mostly bothered the Board was mostly that they thought the money that was spent on Ridley Scott, hundreds of skinheads, an unknown actress and expensive production and post work would have been better spent on at least one big name star, which is what IBM and other computer companies were doing back then. They also didn’t think that trashing IBM, who was by far, the biggest, best selling and best known power in the computer business, was a smart idea.

The board ordered that Apple try to resell all the millions of dollars worth of spots they had ordered for the Superbowl. And Apple management complied and sold the spots. Probably at a loss.

What Apple’s Board, the agency’s media, account and creative people, along with everyone else, hated most was blowing almost all their minuscule broadcast budget on what was the one of the most expensive spots at that time, a 60 second first ad in the first pod of the Super Bowl. But they did NOT even plan to spend anything resembling millions of dollars on Super Bowl time, or even considered running many spots because the entire broadcast budget wasn’t that big. They had reserved just one other spot, a 30 second for Lisa.

NONE of the spots that aired on the Super Bowl in 1984 cost near a million $ to air. My media friend says they spent about $500,000 on production for the 1964 ad and about $650,000 for the 60 seconds of airtime for 1984, which was a ton of money for any ad in those days, even for the Super Bowl. CBS sold the 30 second spot for Lisa for more than then Apple agreed to pay for it. It was only in 1985, a year after the 1984 ad ran and created such spectacular sales results far exceeding anything Apple anticipated that CBS was able to sell a few 60 second spots for a million $.

They sold all but one spot. They couldn’t sell that one and had little choice but to run 1984.

They suspected this would happen when they ordered the spots, which was why they agreed to the $650k price.

The ad has probably been seen a few million times, and no amount of money could buy that level of publicity. TV stations were running the ad for free in their newscasts.

You got this one right. They also got a ton of coverage in newspapers, magazines and radio.

Probably it will go down in the history books as the greatest television ad of all time.

It is considered “the greatest ad of all time” by many industry

But in the real world it only ran on TV as a paid ad ONE time.

That’s an urban legend; 1984 had only 1 national TV run. They ran some 1984 spots in markets where IBM had big offices and big numbers, like NY Metro, where IBM’s headquarters were located, Miami, LA. Steve and Chiat/Day wanted to poke IBM in the eye with a very sharp stick. They also ran 1984 in local markets in Screenvision, then the just released, and first national cinema advertising network; one of my old bosses was the one who sold them the spots.

And that was one time too many for Apple’s board. Steve Jobs loved that ad.

They were very much more than thrilled with the results, and so were the stockholders and just about everybody except for anybody. Apple’s sales and stock prices went through the roof.

1 Like

Wish somebody would do the same on quite a few other Apple-oriented sites’ forum sections. So much whining, so little quality thought. There’s a difference between valid opposition and just whining for whining’s sake, and that line gets footprints on it too often.

1 Like

Neuroscience Says You’ll Be Happier, Less Stressed, and More Productive When You Stop Doing This 1 Thing

Venting Won’t Make You Feel Better. Science Says So.

I know what you’re thinking: When you’re mad, upset, frustrated, etc., releasing those negative feelings helps you feel better.

Nope: Science says whining about your problems actually makes you feel worse, not better.

2 Likes

A lovely sentiment at the end of that piece:

But don’t stop there. When the people around you complain, definitely listen–but then help them focus on helping them find ways to improve the situation.

After all: Friends don’t let friends whine.

Friends help friends make their lives better.

Let’s keep it constructive, folks.

1 Like

System 7: It sucks less!

2 Likes

Clarification: can I whine about how much Steve Jobs sucked? He used to whine about how much I sucked, so I feel entitled.

3 Likes

Replying to this just so I can semi-legitimately say I’ve communicated with the creator of Eudora, the best email application in the history of the world. Don’t @ me. (get it :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

At this point, that’s just telling war stories, so feel free. :-)

The irony about this thread is that it appears to have created a level of activity this board rarely sees, at least that I’m aware of.

I also note that much of this thread is whining from one group of users about the whining of another group of users. I do find it a bit amusing that several of those whining about the whining seem to be people who I’ve rarely encounter posting (if at all in fact) let alone trying to help out others who are posting about a problem. Now I’d usually chalk this up to me just not remembering handles, if it weren’t for these little panels that keep popping up in this thread with stuff like “This is XYZ’s first post” or “Their last post was 10 months ago”.

2 Likes