Nitro Acquires PDFpen from Smile

I find it fascinating how strongly some users — at least among the self-selected TidBITS Talk forum contributors :smirk: — detest subscription pricing for software applications.

While the first-impression comparison of a one-time payment versus a subscription obviously favors the former, I don’t follow that argument if some conditions are met by an application:

a. It receives useful regular updates and bug fixes
b. It continues to work if you cancel your subscription
c. It, ideally, provides a useful service, such as cloud syncing

To clarify point b., you will find plenty of subscription-priced applications that continue to work without restrictions when you stop paying; you just don’t receive any more updates, and any cloud services become read-only.

Smile’s TextExpander, which some of you mention, actually makes a decent case-in-point: It’s seeing regular updates, most of which I find useful. Its cloud sync service is reliable and “just works.” And while I’ve yet to check whether TextExpander meets requirement b., the productivity gain I get from this applications on a literally daily basis, easily justifies the $40 annual price tag for me.

Getting upset about their pricing scheme, and exploring and adopting “cheaper” alternatives, would probably cost me many times that fee. :thinking:

1 Like