New 16-inch MacBook Pro Sends the Butterfly Keyboard Flying

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/11/13/new-16-inch-macbook-pro-sends-the-butterfly-keyboard-flying/

Apple has replaced the 15-inch MacBook Pro with a new 16-inch model that features a redesigned keyboard with a return to scissor switches and inverted-T arrow keys, as well as a few surprises.

A post was merged into an existing topic: New 16" MBP rumored for Oct

And it’s here.

Better base specs, same entry level price, physical escape key. If the keyboard and power management are indeed improved, this could be a real winner.

With the new updated base specs and the entry price tag left at $2399 this creates an odd comparison with the 13".

13" 4-core i7 with 16/512 is $2499.
16" 6-core i7 with 16/512 is $2399.

So for $100 less you’re getting a bigger and brighter display, more cores on a newer CPU (plus faster memory bus), and superior dedicated graphics. Looks like 13" prices could now use some adjustment. :wink:

2 Likes

Wasn’t that overlap there with the 15 inch & 13 inch MBPs?

IIRC the 15" base model for $2399 used to come with a 256 GB SSD.

And WTF is a “a new Magic Keyboard features a refined scissor mechanism with 1 mm travel for a responsive, comfortable, and quiet typing experience.”

Is it “Magic,” or scissor, or what?

I wish they had a 16 in. model without a touchbar, even if it wasn’t labeled “Pro.” Even better, they could knock a little off the price for that model. My guess is that too many people would choose the touchbar free model.

I’m in the market to replace my very elderly MacBook Pro, and I’m going to be definitely checking this one out.

1 Like

Both. It is very similar to the Magic Keyboard that sells with the iMac and uses scissor switch mechanisms rather the problematic butterfly switch that the MacBook Pro has used since 2016.

Yes, “Magic Keyboard” is the marketing term, but that hasn’t changed. The key is the return to a scissors switch.

Yes, Adam, that is the… key.

:innocent:

1 Like

here, the best new feature is the ‘real’ esc-key! So many times, I touched ‘esc’ unwanted, so many functions (etc) lost in FileMaker…

2 Likes

Packing quad-core into a 13 inch package is pretty impressive. I know many people who won’t consider even 15 inch MBP even if given to them. They won’t carry the weight. Similar situation with the old PowerBook 12 inch models from 2004. There was a premium for size.

I get that. I’m one of those people myself. I lug around my MBP so much at work and I also spend too much time flying wedged into economy seats trying to get work done that I just couldn’t use a 15"/16". I used to, but in 2013 I gave up and transitioned to the 13". I’d never go back.

That said, I will max out my 13" so with the 16" base config actually looking more reasonable, I end up choosing more expensive BTO options on the 13" than I would on the 16". That drives up the cost of the 13".

The BTO options for RAM and SSD have become a bit more reasonable lately, so I suppose once the 13" sees an update (and becomes the 14" maybe?), its BTO options will be adjusted and then it will once again be cheaper than a similarly spec’ed 16".

1 Like

8TB may be enough for one of those macOS software updates.

If the “surprises” don’t include an SD card slot and more and more varied ports, count me out. In the past, Apple would say “You’re a ’Creative Pro’ and you need this.” A sure sign they we’re getting ready to take away the feature. Now you can carry dongles, and, in some cases, dongles to plug into other dongles. I was humiliated to attend a conference where they said “For speed and security we’re using Ethernet. Mac users, buddy-up with a PC user.” PC users incredulous that Mac doesn’t have Ethernet.

And “Our new cross-platform web interface via Ethernet makes this formerly Windows-only [scientific instrument] controllable from all platforms. It is recommended that Mac users find a way to secure their adapters to prevent losing their connection while moving about.” Another thing to carry: gafffer tape.

1 Like

Whoever made that snarky announcement at the conference you attended hasn’t checked the marketplace lately. Plenty of Windows laptops — notably the Dell XPS models often considered as the most direct competitors to MacBook Pro models — have lacked Ethernet ports for years, and for the same reasons.

I totally dig it. Be that as it may, out of 18 conference attendees in April, 2019, only the three Mac people lacked built-in Ethernet.

1 Like

Well if Ethernet was really that important to them for “speed & security” reasons they could have told everybody ahead of time to bring a $5 Ethernet dongle or just supply a few to those with a modern notebook. With just 18 participants not a real issue.

It’s dumb snark neglecting the roll of inertia in tech if there’s no trailblazers. Along those lines we’d still have 2" thick notebooks with parallel ports. Apple might have many issues today, but their choice of ports has always revealed to be correct. 5-10 years later their competitors will have made the same call. Just years late. :wink:

2 Likes

True enough. What ticks me off is that only Mac users needed the dongles. But maybe the organizers don’t know Apple and don’t know about the curious ways in which Apple shafts its customers.

It’s dumb snark neglecting the roll of inertia in tech if there’s no trailblazers. Along those lines we’d still have 2" thick notebooks with parallel ports. Apple might have many issues today, but their choice of ports has always revealed to be correct. 5-10 years later their competitors will have made the same call.

I’m not convinced that Ethernet is a serial-port or floppy-disc analogue. That Ethernet is still on all desktop Macs tells me they are designing portables with form over function. And then there’s the SD slot. Really, Apple? You took that away from “the photographer’s laptop!?” And MagSafe.

My niece’s old 13” MB Pro had MagSafe, five ports, SD card slot, audio in/out. Her new one has two ports, one of which is occupied by the power connector. Call it what it is: one port. With the very large DVD drive gone it looks like they could have managed a few more ports. Does any other brand have a “pro” model with a single I/O port and no card slot?

1 Like