Moving to Catalina: Keep Your 32-Bit Mac Apps Running with Parallels

Is CS6 safe? Or are they planning to kill it off the same way?

Is there a way to run the MacOS app in the guest OS from the MacOS host OS, or vice versa? It seems possible with Windows / MacOS, but I don’t see the option for MacOS / MacOS. This makes it much harder to use both efficiently.

Certainly. In Parallels Desktop 15 Pro, scroll right twice in the “Free Systems” section of Create New to install macOS from the Recovery Partition.

Adobe CS products: “but there’s no way to register it on a new one so it won’t run there.”

Best bet is to use migration assistant or CCC to move your current set up to the virtualized one.

1 Like

Like you, David, I have been unable to get Quicken 2007 running under Mojave VM, just getting the same message, “unable to load file.” Have you found a solution? Any advice would be appreciated!

Hi, Joekruetz. Yes, I moved Quicken Backup Folder from my Documents folder to the Documents Folder of my Mojave guest VM. That seemed to do the trick! I now have my necessary 32-bit apps running on the Mojave VM and was able to install Catalina as the host OS about two weeks ago. My only disappointment has been that I wanted to run Paperless on both guest and host OS’s, by linking the guest OS Paperless app to the Paperless library on the host OS. So far, that hasn’t worked too well. But otherwise, I’m happy.

FYI that 1-year to use Parallels is on sale as part of a bundle via MacHeist. The bundle was $36, after a discount code, but may be $60 usually.

http://macheist.com/

I just bought a new iMac and it has Mohave installed. How do I get an installer? Is it somewhere? I am also still running Quicken 007. I cannot upgrade my old iMac, so cannot get the installer that way. Thanks.

If you already have Mojave you don’t really need a Mojave installer, unless you want to make a USB installer for offline use.

If you do want an installer, just use the link provided macappstore://itunes.apple.com/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828?mt=12 which will bring you to the Mac App Store. Click the “Get” button which will open System Preferences and ask if you really want to download it. Confirm that and it should start to download.

Just click on the link you quoted or use the one that @tjluoma gave (they take you to the exact same place) and click “Get”. When the download finishes it will automatically launch the installer and you’ll see the splash screen. At that point, quit the installer and you’ll find “Install macOS Mojave” in your /Applications folder.

Did you mean that your new Mac has Catalina installed? I thought Quicken could still still run under Mojave (pronounced Mohave :slight_smile: - just not when it is a Virtual Machine in Parallels.
As reported near the start of these discussions a new Mac with Catalina installed is unlikely to be able to be “downgraded” to a previous macOS, possibly due to graphics driver issues. But it may be worth a try.

Sorry to reopen this old thread, but I find myself with a curious problem. I bought a 16" MBP, which of course runs Catalina. I want to continue to use Office 2011, as I have been doing, and continue to do, under Mojave on other Macs (I have a fetish for some of its features which seem to have been removed from more recent versions), so I installed Parallels, created a VM and installed Mojave, then installed the latest updates from Apple. I downloaded Office 2011 from MS and ran the installer.

When I launch any of the components (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), they show me the initial splash screen and then the document palette, but each of them then crashes immediately if I try to go any further. The same applies if I try to open an existing document: it loads, flashes quickly on the screen and then crashes. I’ve installed the latest Office updates, but it’s made no difference.

I’m mystified: this is a clean install of Office onto a clean install of Mojave.

Any suggestions gratefully received, as ever.

Jeremy

You should be able to, but…

It is my understanding that both Parallels and VMWare Fusion enforce Apple’s license terms. All versions of Mac OS X up to Snow Leopard (10.6) include license terms that prohibit virtualization of the desktop version, only allowing the server version to run in VMs.

So, if you want to run Snow Leopard in a VM (without hacking your installation to bypass the license checks), then you need to get the server edition. Fortunately, it is still possible to purchase Snow Leopard Server on DVD from Apple if you phone them up and provide the correct product number. I’m sure someone here or some web searching can help you with that part.

(FWIW, this restriction went away in Lion (10.7), since Apple pretty much eliminated the server edition, choosing instead to make Server an add-on from the App Store.)

1 Like

Inscrutable, indeed! Are you sure you have all the updates to Office 2011 installed? Grasping at straws…

Adam,

Yes, I am. I’ve compared them with those I am using on my iMac Pro, running Mojave, which are definitely up-to-date. I’ve even tried copying over the application support files (the Microsoft folders in /Library/Application support and /Library/Preferences). I’ve fiddled with the VM settings. Nothing makes any difference. I’m stumped.

Jeremy

The best course of action would probably be to treat this as a Parallels problem and contact their support.

Good idea! I’ll give it a go.

Jeremy

Is it still true that Parallels can’t create a macOS VM from a clone? I just want to make sure I didn’t miss it. Looks to me like you first need to create a vanilla VM with an OS X installer and then use MA to get back your data from the clone. Is that still the proper way to do this?

@glennf and @amilholl-TidBits
When you tested out Address Labels, does it have the ability to print barcodes like BeLight’s Labels & Addresses could?

A post was split to a new topic: Running Mojave on M-series Macs