Moving to a New Mac: What’s Left to Do After Migration?

Excellent! Thank you.

I used Migration Assistant to move from my old (2013) iMac to a refurbished iMac Pro. Because I was nervous about needing a back up CPU for ongoing work in case I ran into problems, I didn’t sign out of iCloud etc, as you’ve recommended. My worry now is that, now I’ve created new files on the iMac Pro under the same cloud account, if I boot up the old Mac and log out of everything, will there be any repercussions due to the syncing? Am I all right as long as I log out before deleting any files on the old iMac? Thanks!!

You’re spot on. Everything should be fine as long as you just log out—you don’t want to delete anything before logging out since those deletions would then be synced to the new Mac.

When you log out, you’ll probably be prompted to keep a copy of the files locally. It doesn’t really matter what you choose there, although if you keep all the files and then subsequently turn syncing back on, you could create confusion. I generally recommend allowing the logout process to delete the local copy of the data.

It also depends a little on what you plan to do with the Mac. If you’re going to reformat the drive and pass it on to another person, what data is left doesn’t reall matter—just make sure you’ve disconnected from everything that could see that Mac’s unique hardware first (iTunes authorizations are another one).

3 Likes

Phew, makes sense. Perfect, thanks so much!!

The glitch we hit was Messages. We had to go into my wife’s iPhone and set it to backup her Messages to iCloud, so they would get transferred to her new Mac. Then we had to go into Settings->Contacts on her phone and set Text Message Forwarding to allow her new computer to send and receive SMS messages.

Makes sense- thanks for that, David! I’m also finding that, in Adobe apps, all my presents (custom workspaces, Output modules etc) need reloading too.

If anyone is currently trying to move or copy all their Homebrew packages, you can use this CLI tool GitHub - Liopun/prp: A convenient solution for backing up and restoring your installed packages.

2 Likes

Oh, wow, this looks great. Thanks for the post.