Microsoft Office for Mac 16.72

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/watchlist/microsoft-office-2019-16-72/

Brings updates to Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint. ($149.99 new for one-time purchase, $99.99/$69.99 annual subscription options, free update, macOS 10.15+)

1 Like

What’s weird is I upgraded to the same 16.72 release on two Macs, with Outlook configured the same. One gained the new profile feature, the other didn’t.

And I hate the new profile feature. The problem is that it moves the Navigation bar (with the icons for switching between Mail, Calendar, etc.) to the left side, instead of at the bottom of the sidebar where it belongs.

I can find no way to move the navigation bar or turn off profiles. The only recourse is to switch back to the “Legacy” interface.

Update: Outlook for Windows is also changing to have the navigation bar on the left, but in this version there’s a setting to disable “Show Apps in Outlook”. But that setting doesn’t exist on macOS, unless there’s a hidden property value we can set.

Update 2: You can use New Outlook with the navigation bar at the bottom, for now, by turning off the profile feature: Help > Clear Application Data > Experimental Features > Clear.

MacWorld and Cult of Mac are both running deals that seem too good to be true. I’d normally and immediately think these are scams, but coming from those two legit names I’m puzzled. What’s going on here?

Both MacWorld and Cult of Mac are offering MS Office for $45! Yes, it’s the 2021 version, but that’s fine. How does this work? How can anyone who seems to be legit sell office for $45 when the going price is $145? Thanks for any enlightenment. (Links below)