Microsoft Office for Mac 16.38

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/watchlist/microsoft-office-2019-16-38/

Adds the new Data from Picture feature to Excel for creating table data from images. ($149.99 new for one-time purchase, $99.99/$69.99 annual subscription options, free update)

I have tried several times to make the update, and always get the same behaviour: the update downloads and installation begins. When showing three seconds remaining on the update, the installer stalls, and after a couple of minutes stops with the message “Update error…” Clicking on the information icon gives “The update could not be installed at this time. Please try again later.”

This happened to me on a High Sierra machine that I hadn’t used in six months. I ended up downloading Office 365 and installing it again. It’s been fine since then (though I don’t think that there has been an update yet.)

1 Like

I just updated on my High Sierra MBP and it went smoothly. Also updated on my new iMac running Catalina. Both cases I have Office 365. No problems. Don’t know if that helps but it was smooth in both cases.

I was able to update my Office apps using the individual updater packages available at this link: