Malwarebytes vs. CleanMyMac X

I use both. Had recent experience with stolen email and password resulting massive mailing to contacts. Discussion with Malwarebytes folks resulted in their conclusion that it was not my computer which was robbed but my service provider’s computers that had my info robbed. That conclusion seems highly improbable since Robbery of AOL computers would have been worldwide news. I now use 40 digit passwords.

In addition to your strong password, I recommend turning on two-factor authentication (2FA) for your AOL account. Here’s AOL’s Help article about it:

There’s also a recent thread about 2FA and email accounts here:

My impression of CleanMyMac is also very favorable. I have found them to be a very ethical co., and their product to be useful. Unfortunately, I have encountered discussions where folks have confused their product with MacKeeper, which I wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole.

2 Likes

I too use SoftRAID, and it complains to me about CleanMyMacX. However, I have CMMX “tamed” by turning off its malware scanning and certain other activities. CMMX does monitor for software updates, and I run it manually on occasion for other tasks, but because it’s not scanning for viruses (I have Malwarebytes for that), I feel that I’m not creating problems for SoftRAID. My RAID is working fine.

I had looked at SoftRAID’s FAQ pages and since I do not use the malware scan or any feature that requires CMM to run in the background writing files, I have reinstalled it and all is going OK.