macOS and Safari update questions

Running High Sierra on two Macs. Am considering upgrading to Mojave on both (want to keep both on same OS and definitely do not want Catalina). Am happy with HS, but it will be legacied soon enough that the move to Mojave makes sense eventually if it doesn’t upset my applecarts (oops, sorry about that pun). I run mostly mundane apps including Quicken 17 (I don’t download transactions, so am not worried about that issue). I also run Lightroom/Photoshop and I know those will be fine in Mojave. Don’t care about dark mode.

What are the important changes and/or issues in Mojave from HS to be aware/beware of?

And I have not updated Safari to v13, either, since the initial reported issues with it. Is that ok now too?

Thanks.

I upgraded from HS to Mojave a while ago. I didn’t find a whole lot changed (I upgraded to stay “current”, not for new features) and I don’t remember any considerable specific issues either. Obviously, Safari 13 was one of the more substantial updates. I do find that iTunes wifi syncing with my iPhone (on the latest iOS) has become less and less reliable, but I’m not at all sure I’d place that blame on Mojave itself.

I too upgraded to Mojave long ago, so can’t really recall any important features or having experienced any critical issues with it.

The Safari update isn’t so much issues as it has features that not everybody was keen about. I’ve certainly learned to live with all of them and in rare instances will switch to a different browser when a site doesn’t get along well with Safari, but that’s something I’ve always found a need for.

Safari is my main browser but Firefox has been impressing me of late.

Not sure why you are still using Safari, but Firefox is superior. It has many features that Safari does not offer, plus better security. Move forward to Firefox and while you are at it, try switching your search engine to duck duck go . You will be glad you did.

1 Like

DDG I can second.

When it comes to Firefox, let me just point out to you that more features does not necessarily make a better product. I find Firefox to be incredibly chatty and I don’t particularly like its busy interface either. Safari UI has a cleanness and simplicity to it that reminds me of Apple’s strengths. And then of course there’s the unmatched iCloud integration.

I have no problems with Firefox per se (and it is my 2nd browser) but I think it’s rather ill advised to assume it’s the one-size-fits-all that everybody should be moving to.

FF is my second browser as well (on a Sierra machine) and it really eats up resources. I have tons of tabs open in Safari and admittedly have to shut it down once in awhile.

I have to close FF much more often even with only 1-2 windows open. The laptop gets hot and battery life suffers dramatically.

Diane

Thanks for the reassurances. Will proceed next week. As for Safara vs. Firefox, Safari works for me, a seamless part of Apple ecosystem. I find Firefox difficult, using it only when an occasional website prefers it.

I use iMazing for backup and syncing mobile devices, and rarely use iTunes anyway, so those issues probably won’t affect me. That said, I am happy with iTunes 12 – will I be able to keep it or will the Mojave upgrade force me to use 13?

As a side note, I am lucky to live in the boonies, so the virus issues haven’t changed my life much at all, to date. Local Walmart still has good fresh produce even if the canned and paper goods are sparse. I did notice today that Amazon shipping is delayed at least a month (unless you are a prime member, which I am not). The really unfortunate aspect here (New Mexico) is that our state’s economy is largely small businesses, mom-and-pops, many of which will never reopen. My sympathies and stay-well wishes to all of you folks in more populated areas!

I am not sure what you are talking/writing about? I use a plain white template for my Firefox opening page. There are hundreds of choices for what you might like to see your opening page to look.

The add-ons and extensions are far superior to Safari. Safari was acceptable early on, but when they began making it work on the Microsoft OS, its security weaknesses became apparent. Are you sure you have actually installed, set up and used Firefox?

It’s alright Phil, I know my way around them all at this point.

Big fan of DDG too.

Let’s not forget Startpage for searches, too. I use both.

2 Likes

So, if Firefox is so superior, how exactly does one completely disable tabbed browsing so that command clicking on a link opens the link in a new window instead of a new tab? I can do that in Safari.

Why would that be important?

It’s important because I dislike tabbed browsing. I can configure Safari so I never have to deal with tabs. I can only partially do that Firefox.

Since the current Safari 13 update has some issues (refer to article comments), will I be able to stay with Safari 12 if I upgrade to Mojave?

I too am using HS but am thinking of taking the next step. How do I get the Mojave upgrade? I find Apple seems to like to hide them. I don’t want to go to Catalina, especially as I am using a MBP (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) which is a bit long in the tooth and don’t need any headaches.

Wishing you all safety and health. Be safe out there.

Yes. It will install Safari 12.1.2, so you only need to ignore the prompt to update it to any version of Safari 13. But Safari 12 hasn’t been updated since around 1 November, so I’m sure there are some security issues with it and I’m fairly confident there won’t be another update under any circumstances.

Try ‎macOS Mojave on the Mac App Store

I have resisted upgrading my MacOS from plain old Sierra as well. The primary reason is that Apple continues to violate its original user interface guidelines to dumb down the MacOS in order for it to be similar to iOS. That’s a business decision, as Apple’s Mac sales pale in comparison to iPhones.

In the process, Apple is making it harder and less intuitive for computer users to use their Macs. Sometimes, it’s the most simple of things. I am used to a hierarchical file system, but in modern MacOSes, they’re almost an afterthought, and the assumption is that files are stored on iCloud and must be simultaneously read on their iPhones. Well, no, especially when we don’t have fast internet connections! The first manifestation out of that (and which new Mac users will never appreciate) is that when you now double-click on a folder, the folder itself changes to the new folder. In the olden days, when you double-clicked on a folder, the new folder would appear shifted to the right on top of the old one and you could see both, moving files among them. It’s simple functionality that makes it crazily more difficult to manipulate files. I use a hack (SIMBL) to get around that and reinstall other functionality that’s been dropped, but still…

I cannot think of a single “major” functionality addition since Lion that use: Mission Control, Launchpad, Dock, Expose, Split Screen, Notifications—forget them all. The last major improvement I have used is Spotlight, and even with that I use Barsoom to move it in the menubar where I want (and to hide the Notifications menubar item).

The Finder behavior you describe has nothing to do with iCloud or iCloud drive. It’s a feature of the Finder. If you have the sidebar and/or the toolbar displayed for a Finder window, double-clicking on a folder will open the folder and replace the contents of the current Finder window with the contents of the just opened folder. If you hide the both the sidebar and the toolbar, double clicking on a folder will open the folder in a new Finder window.