macOS 14 Sonoma Now Available

Since you implicate iCloud, perhaps Sonoma filled your drive to the max, causing a crash. See this explanation from Oakley.

Not the problem. Plenty of space. The download never executed correctly. That was obvious since Main menu bar was not available until reboot. Took a supervisor level many hours to fix the problem.

Does Drobo still work with Sonoma? The demise of the company is worrisome, as I own three.

I wish I had waited. This is buggiest MacOS I’ve seen in a long while. I’ve had multiple issues with autofill and Safari and with the Notes app coming up blank. The worst bug is in iMovie—I’m unable to share or export a completed project in any form or by any method.

I had been using the beta on my ARM MacBook for a while with no problems. So I installed the first release candidate on my Intel iMac, and things went very wrong, with a hang whenever I tried to open a file using the dialog. I then had a few problems reverting back, because I thought I was going to be able to use an external boot volume, but open firmware needs to allow that, and I’d already erased the hard drive. I aim wondering if it was because I have a setup where I have system on the internal SSD and an external data drive. I’ll wait to the first revision before I try again.

While I like to keep up-to-date, I’m worried about what might not work if I upgrade.

For example, my favorite mail plug-in, MsgFiller, won’t work because Apple no longer allows Mail plugins!

So I’m taking it easy for the moment.

Adam Tow posted the following in on Support page last week:

You may find the app seems to work but in fact does strange things. For instance, you might file a message and watch it disappear only to see it reappear in your inbox seconds or minutes later. Again, I don’t recommend using MsgFiler on Sonoma long-term for filing. The workaround is to use the Help menu method until further notice. Opening mailboxes might still work properly in MsgFiler on Sonoma.

Plug-ins are 100% gone, so no amount of Terminal commands will bring back the Manage Plug-ins button or allow MsgFiler Engine and the Original MsgFiler Mail Plug-in to work on Sonoma, sad to say.

Yes, I’ve been following his discussion. I wonder why Apple did that.

I’ve tried all sorts of alternative mail apps for my Mac, but they are all missing something: nice image markup, a “send again feature”, filing with shortcuts, moving email between accounts, being able to replly inline (I’m amazed you can’t do that in Outlook), and other things. So I keep coming back to Mail. But it’s MailMerge that makes organization possible.

In iOS 17 Mail finally got a way to file messages even! (after touching move, touch on the top which opens up a search bar to file).

doug

1 Like

…for those using encrypted mails with Apple Mail and GPG Tools: not working.

It’s been a couple of weeks since Macos 14 Sonoma has been released. Would it be reasonable to upgrade soon?

I’m holding off until 14.1 at least. There’s hardly anything in there I truly need/want. And Apple’s track record re: software quality lately leaves more than just a little to be desired.

1 Like

I upgraded from macOS Ventura to macOS Sonoma on my Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019 iMac without a hitch. The only issue I have noticed is that when my iMac has to be rebooted, my external USB hard drive icons are all messed up on my Desktop, and I have to take a minute to rearrange them.

But as I suspected would happen soon or later, Apple will not let me install macOS Sonoma on my Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 iMac. It seems that macOS Ventura 13.6 is the end of the road for that machine.

I’m currently running Sonoma on both my Apple Silicon computers. The update appeared to go without a hitch, but yesterday, I discovered that I could not log into iCloud on one of my computers . I was seeing the message “These settings have been configured by a profile” at the top of the window. It was strange as there were no profiles shown in my Privacy & Security settings. After having no luck going through several typical debugging solutions (restart in safe mode, reinstall the OS, etc.), I happened on a page in Apple Discussions that provided the fix:

The System Setting>Screen Time>Content & Privacy>Preference Restrictions>Allow Account Changes switch had been turned off. Turning on that switch or simply turning off the Content & Privacy switch would fix the issue. All my other devices have the Content & Privacy switch turned off.

So, as others have noted , Apple system updates occaisionally change your setiings.

The only other note is that I discovered I could reduce login time substantially by disconnecting my USB backup sand storage extension drives prior to restarting and plugging them back in once the system was up. This is quite a time saver when debugging a an issue not involving apps that might need to access those drives.

2 Likes

I’m having problems with my M2 Mac Mini. The encrypted Time Machine Volumes on SSD’s (3) won’t mount automatically at start up and sometimes disappear at Wake Up. Re-starting in Recovery mode and adding drives individually works but only temporarily.

Are those drives connected through TB or USB? (Not the plug, the actual protocol used by the bridge chip) Are they plugged in directly to your Mac or through a hub/dock?

I have already under Monterey and Ventura seen various encrypted APFS SSDs not auto-mounting properly after sleep etc. But at least IME (mainly SSDs connected via TB and USB hubs) this has gotten substantially better in later versions of Ventura.

A mixture, 1 is TB, directly to the Mac Mini, the other 2 are through a USB C hub connected to a Studio Display which is TB connected to the Mac Mini. It all seemed to work fine in Ventura.

I’ve installed Sonoma on two personal machines, an M1 Air and, using Open Core Legacy Patcher (OCLP), an unsupported 13" mid-2012 MacBook Pro.

I haven’t run into any issues with the M1 Air. I can’t say that I am taking advantage of any particular Sonoma features, though I quickly turned off the annoying animated wallpaper and replaced it with a static picture.

While I can’t recommend running anything critical on a Mac running an unsupported OS via OCLP, I think it is a reasonable way to extend the lifespan of an older Mac for things like casual web browsing if you understand the various compromises OCLP makes to shoehorn Sonoma onto unsupported machines. It’s also worth noting that some machines work much better with OCLP than others.

In my case, a Core i5 mid-2012 13" MacBook Pro upgraded with an SSD and 16 GB of RAM works very well with OCLP. It may be my imagination, but Sonoma feels a bit snappier than Ventura did on my test machine. No one will mistake it for an Apple Silicon machine, but performance is completely acceptable for routine web browsing, and I don’t notice any lags opening and using a range of apps. I’d say Sonoma is only slightly less snappy on this hardware than the supported Catalina OS was.

My only quibble is that trackpad behavior seems a little off, where I sometimes have to click twice to select something, and sometimes I notice a lag between double-clicking on something and having it open. In contrast, none of these issues show up when I use a physical mouse instead of the trackpad. I suspect that Sonoma assumes a haptic trackpad, and some of the settings don’t quite work correctly with older devices.

Nonetheless, I doff my cap to the OCLP developers. They’ve done a very impressive job keeping older Mac hardware useful.

PS. I would not attempt to run Sonoma on an unsupported Mac without an SSD.

1 Like

I still haven’t upgraded my 2021 MBP 14-inch M1. The main reason is worry about what won’t work. I already know MsgFiler won’t work and I really would like to use it or something like that to make filing easy (and I’ve tried Outlook and some other email apps).

Anyway, my question is, is there anything really great that I’m missing in Sonoma? Reading the article, nothing really stood out as breathtaking.

Thanks.

So Sonoma’s been out for around a month and I’m assuming the dust has settled a little. I’m wondering how people are finding it and if they’re experiencing any issues, particularly around iCloud.
Have Apple released any dot updates since release?

There’s a couple of minor things I’d like to get from Sonoma but don’t want to compromise a stable system.

1 Like

14.1 is due out any day now with some fixes. The French government announced it would be out yesterday, but it didn’t happen.