macOS 10.15 & 32-bit Apps

For what it’s worth, I have a VMware Fusion VM I made from my old Snow Leopard (client) startup disk several years ago, and ‘converted’ to Snow Leopard Server using the plist trick, and it still runs just as well as ever in VMware Fusion 7.1.3 on High Sierra (I haven’t yet gone to the point of upgrading to a newer version of Fusion than that).

I don’t remember doing anything other than the .plist trick to get it working in the first place. So either that trick still works, or newer versions of VMware Fusion are happy to accept VMs using that trick that have been ‘set up’ using earlier versions?

Does anyone still have the details of said plist trick? I still have a copy of 4.1 and SLC; and though i personally have SLS, I’m curious if i can solve this for others in this dilemma needing to cling to, e.g., Adobe CS3-4.

The steps I have noted down are:

1. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices.
  2. Make a copy of the file SystemVersion.plist and call the copy ServerVersion.plist.
  3. Open the new ServerVersion.plist file in your property list editor of choice (e.g. I use BBEdit for this) and change the one reference to Mac OS X so it instead says Mac OS X Server.

But I don’t have a source recorded for these steps. A quick Internet search turns up a few links from a similar time period to my notes, including:

…though these mostly focus on installing a fresh copy of Snow Leopard, not tweaking an image you already have of a normal Snow Leopard installation so it will work in a VM.

Especially if the developer has passed away (R.I.P, Hardy) or gone out of business.

Or just lost interest. Anywhere from a person level all the way up to a board room decision.

TidBITS is where I see a lot of people getting upset about rental software. But in today’s world how can any developer without an ongoing revenue stream keep re-writing apps for changing OS requirements?

I think the complaining has decreased over the last few years but all kinds of people have seemed really upset that they don’t get updates and support forever. And there’s a big pile of software where that was promised and at some point the economics of it ran out the clock.