MacBook screen brightness keys stopped working

The subject says it. The screen brightness control keys (F1 and F2) stopped working on my MacBook with macOS 10.14.6 Mojave. This persists through restarts and is independent of whether automatically adjust screen brightness is checked or not. The slider in the Displays pane of System Preferences does work; it’s just the keys that stopped working. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Those keys are set in System Preferences… > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Display. Restore Defaults should restore the defaults, although if it already shows those keys, something else is going on. It might help to change the keys to something else then Restore Defaults.

Does it make a difference if you hold down Fn? I can’t remember where that setting is offhand in System Preferences > Keyboard but if that checkbox got twiddled, it might explain things.

For some reason, the checkbox to decide whether that row of buttons are media keys or F-keys by default, is a system-wide configuration. So if one user changes it, all users are affected.

At least that’s what I’ve seen on my systems.

Yes, that made the difference. Thank you!

While there are other user accounts on the MacBook, no one else had used it recently. However, that checkbox was checked. Thank you!

Thank you. To be sure we’re on the same page, I open System Preferences, choose Keyboard, then click on Shortcuts in the Keyboard pane. I then see a list on the left that starts with Launchpad & Dock and ends with App Shortcuts, with a total of nine entries, none of which are Display. This is true on my MacBook (Mojave) and an iMac (Sierra, I think, but maybe High Sierra). Are you by chance running Catalina? Or did I not understand where to look?

1 Like