Mac clients for Gmail

Yes, I use Postbox. When I finally left PowerMail about 6 years ago because they got hopelessly mired in their “text preferred” model, I dabbled with Apple Mail for a hot minute and then migrated to Postbox.

It’s Mozilla-based, and nothing makes this clearer than the fact that they had to abandon plug-ins at the same time that Mozilla did.

They “prefer” IMAP, but POP3 is fully supported as well, and thanks to a lot of user pushing the initial configuration of an account no longer religiously pushes IMAP over POP so much.

They support Gmail labels and folder organization. Whatever folders are in your Gmail account are mirrored locally in the Postbox client.

They are very strong in filtering, sorting, and disposition of messages. They offer a newsreader view of RSS feeds.

Right now I have 14 different email accounts being managed through Postbox. The accounts are clustered into three different groups. I can look at an individual inbox, or click the group and see ALL the messages in all the inboxes in that group in a unified, sorted info-card list. I can also file into folders if I want, or go to an individual folder and move the message somewhere else. All of that is reflected back to a Gmail source account because of IMAP.

Hope this helps,

I’m also on Catalina, and have not seen that problem with Postbox.

I was never able to diagnose the problem, but am currently thinking it may have been an issue with the DNS I was using. Going through Cloudflare sending mail seems fine at present.

1 Like

Does Postbox do image annotation?

Hmmm. I’ve never explored that. I use Skitch for that purpose, because it works in some form on both MacOS and iOS, it integrates with Evernote, and it’s free.

In that case you have to go through an extra app, right? In Mail, and now in Mimestream, you can annotate your images right there while you are composing. That’s very easy and straightforward. But it depends on your particular use case of course.

While that’s true, I wasn’t really replying to your post about Mimestream, Doug. My particular use for annotation is on PDFs in Preview, which I believe uses the same annotation tools as Mail.

I was responding to the earlier post about Postbox.