LittleBITS: TidBITS Formatting Bug, Ransomware Protections, More OCR in Images

I’m intrigued by TextBuddy, cited under “More Text in Image Recognition Utilities.”

I’m looking for an app like this for iOS. Can anyone recommend something?

macOS makes the encryption easy. Simply create an encrypted drive, then back up to it.

(If for some reason you don’t want to encrypt the drive, then make an encrypted sparse bundle disk image and back up to it. That will add some small complications. The whole disk method is as simple as pie. Simpler than pie. Do it once. If you like, CCC will remember the password for you in a keychain.)

I have two 2.5" hard drives and rotate them through the trunk of my car. Many cars have obscure places in the trunk to stash things where car burglars are not likely to look. Even if stolen, or burned in a crash, I have the previous backup in the house.

THanks, @tidbits44 . I’ve been using encrypted disk images since around the time they were introduced, and yes I do encrypt all my numerous b/u drives.

My encryption questions were re Retrospect WORM SaaS , per Adam’s answer.

Regarding file history, the kind folks at Mac Backup Software | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software told me in email:

CCC already offers this. First, though, note that CCC uses file size and modification date differences by default to determine if a file should be updated. If the file’s content changed but the size and modification date remained the same, that file would only get updated if your task is using the “Find and replace corrupted files” setting (Advanced Settings > Performance & Analysis). If CCC finds any files that were copied only due to a differing checksum, then those files get a special icon in the Task Audit.

Also note that we have several ways of verifying the integrity of files in CCC v6 (this was actually one of the big features we added to v6):

How to verify a backup

If the file verification finds files that differ only in checksum, these files get highlighted in red.

[Luc:] There would be false positives, but the only false negatives (I think) would be if I forgot to use Spotlight to see what has changed recently.

We deal with these too :-) There are a handful of file types that regularly get modified without changing the size or modification date. […] We point these out, but reign in the panic by noting that they might be false-positives.

what the above means is that I can use Spotlight regularly to manually keep an eye on files that have changed, and CCC to detect/deal with changed files that have same date stamp, and RansomWhere too. So now I have a lot more peace of mind than before I read the original article. So : thank you everyone!

I’ve updated to Carbon Copy Cloner 6 and am pleased as always .

2 Likes