LittleBITS: Issue #1600, Card Testing Attack, Preventing Inadvertent Unsubscribes

Originally published at: LittleBITS: Issue #1600, Card Testing Attack, Preventing Inadvertent Unsubscribes - TidBITS

Is it really TidBITS#1600 already? The weeks just keep slipping by as we write and edit TidBITS and keep up with all that’s necessary for a modern-day Internet presence.

2 Likes

Happy 1600th! Been with you since shortly before the setext switch… Before “The Wireless Networking Starter Kit” my life was a scrambled and confusing mess. You were an integral part of our Montreal MUG, and an invaluable resource to our members. Thank you for all you’ve done, and continue to do.

2 Likes

Congrats Adam & Crew! 1600 wow…
-jim

2 Likes

Adam, just to join in! 1,600! It’s a number isn’t it. Congratulations and more thanks than any of us can give.

And a great tutorial here on list issues — as a film society techie here in NZ very handy!

Don’t you dare retire :slight_smile:

Bill

3 Likes

Still think it is unprofessional to have unsubscribe links in mailing-list messages (but guess it is a standard that I will have hard to change on my own …).

Hey Adam,

Congrats on Issue-1600 !!

BTW, I guess you have not heard: You are not allowed to retire, until all TidBits members unanimously approve of your retirement.

Seriously: If you’re still having fun, that should be a good indicator of continuing.

3 Likes

Wait, I need unanimous approval to retire? Yikes! :slight_smile:

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

4 Likes

Cheers Adam, Tonya, Josh et al!

Saw this reason in “300 Reasons the Mac is Great”:

• RISC. Gotta love that speed.

Back to RISC, and gotta love the speed and performance-per-watt, isn’t it? :smiley:

Congratulations to Adam and Friends, here’s to 1,600 more!

1 Like

And we should take this one too. macOS may not have been based on A/UX, but Unix won out in the end.

• A/UX. Even if it never made native mode on the Power Macs, A/UX has strong supporters and gave Apple a much-needed additional operating system for some markets.
2 Likes

I have A/UX installation media (taken home from an old employer that closed up shop), but unfortunately, I never owned hardware capable of running it. My SE has no FPU or PMMU and my Quadra 840AV couldn’t run it for some unspecified reason.

See also A/UX and Compatible Macintosh Computers (8/94)

Maybe if I’m bored one day, I’ll try to run it in an emulator. QEMU is allegedly compatible.

have to resist the temptation to use her head as a pointing device

Cat head is for eating mouse, not being mouse.

1 Like

Congratulations on 1,600 issues. What a remarkable achievement!

As for the walks down memory lane, I often think of how amazing, and amazingly designed, this little gem was:

• Apple Guide. Interactive, contextual help built into the system is a great thing.

While it obviously must have taken a considerable amount of effort to provide comprehensive guides, especially for more feature-rich applications, I’ve yet to see a help system that is more refined than Apple Guide was back then.

2 Likes