Little Snitch: "Get off that phone!"

As a long-time TidBITS follower, I have often used the software recommendations from Adam, Geoff and others - usually solid choices and it’s a pleasure to support software developers, even when some of them later struggle while others turn into monsters of success.
‘Little Snitch’ is one and it’s fun to deny access to Facebook and Twitter about my application use. I think most people would be horrified if they knew how many phone calls their computer was making, unknown to them.
First question: which services and hosts can be safely blocked and which do you routinely deny access to using LS?
Anyway, I was a bit horrified to find another TidBITS favourite - PDFPen - making the most outward connections of all - 25 this morning! - including LinkedIn, Facebook and others who I want nothing to do with. I don’t like this, especially when it’s a paid product with quite a high price tag.
Is there an innocent explanation for this? Or should we TidBitisters write a letter to Smile asking them to cut down on this habit?
Other bad offenders?

1 Like

PDFpen is now owned by Nitro, so complaints should be directed to them, not Smile.

My understanding is that many of these connections are made because apps use a particular library—such as one that allow authentication using Facebook/Google/Twitter credentials—that does more than the developer actually needs.

1 Like