KeyCue 9.8

Originally published at: KeyCue 9.8 - TidBITS

The keyboard shortcut and emoji cheat sheet utility adds support for macOS 11 Big Sur. (€19.99 new, free update, 4.0 MB, macOS 10.7+)

I have somehow not known about KeyCue until seeing your note on their update, @agen. Looks like a fantastic app! Have downloaded and will be trying it out over the next few days, but am pretty certain I’ll be buying it. I often want to learn more obscure keyboard shortcuts and this will make the process a lot smoother. Plus, the emoji picker looks vastly superior to the stuttering (at least on my 2013 MacBook Air) one that’s built-in to Mac OS. And it’s great to see TidBITS members can get a discount on purchase. :smile:

(As a side note, I used to use Ergonis’s PopChar software back in the classic Mac days, and it was excellent, and indispensable at the time. At some point with Mac OS X I found the Show Emoji & Symbols menu extra was sufficient for my limited needs, so haven’t used PopChar in a while now. It’s nice to have another utility from the same company!)

This is why I love these software update mini-articles in TidBITS. I realise that in this specific instance I’ve missed a dozen or so previous ones about KeyCue. But I often scan the ones not related to software I use or already know, because I know there’s a high chance it will be interesting software. The signal-to-noise ratio in TidBITS remains impressively high!

2 Likes

I have used Ergonis software for years and find their products a constant go to for my work. I love Typinator and regularly use it to enter in lots of information to save typing. When I was doing research and writing sermons a simple key combination would let me enter in all sorts of formatted type. And KeyCue has rescued me numerous times. PopChar let me enter in letters for Greek and Hebrew texts that were difficult to find in the Mac fonts and to do so with simplicity and speed. Excellent software and well supported.

2 Likes

Thanks, @agen. I did not know of KeyCue, which looks very powerful (like @jzw I used to be a fan of Ergonis’s PopChar).

As an alternative I’ve been using a couple of other European apps, both free: CheatSheet from Media Atelier and its companion CustomShortcuts from Houdah Software (whose HoudahSpot I depend on to make sense of Spotlight).

CheatSheet is probably not as full-featured as KeyCue, but it works well for me. And CustomShortcuts is a neat way to edit the system shortcuts, especially since the System Prefs route takes so many keystrokes to reach, and can be messy when you finally get there.

2 Likes