Kernel Vulnerability Causes Apple to Update All Operating Systems

@ace I believe this started with the 10.15.4 supplemental update. The discovery of the network settings reset came later than the linked article, but I can confirm it. On my test machine that had the issue, our proxy settings had disappeared. Luckily I was still able to remote in via IP and fix it since no proxy means no https traffic which means I could not use Jamf to remediate.

Here is the article:

I’ve heard on the MacAdmins Slack that Apple does not plan to fix this until 10.16. This seems insane to me as I really don’t want my entire fleet to lose their ability to reach the Web. If you know anyone at Apple please ask them to run this up the chain. Their OS updates lately have become very sloppy.

1 Like

Anyway that was just my initial thought but then I mentally substituted “current” in the title. Perhaps it could have read “… All Current Operating Systems plus High Sierra”?

So I won’t be looking for an update to Newton 2.1 or ProDOS 8. :wink:

Oops! :blush:

Good God. We have the hot mess that is Catalina on our hands, but here we are over a dozen posts deep debating the grammatical nuances and purported insufficiencies of the title @ace chose for his article. C’mon folks.

1 Like

Well, we have to find some way to combat boredom during “shelter-in-place/quarantine/curfew/etc”. :laughing:

A post was merged into an existing topic: Security Update 2020-003 (Mojave and High Sierra)

I have a Mac mini which was running 10.15.4. I installed 10.15.5 just now, expecting to find the Catalina Supplemental Update offered after that. It installed ok, but System Preferences > Software Update now says “Your Mac is up to date - macOS Catalina 10.15.5”, and there is no mention of the Supplemental Update. I have plenty of experience with High Sierra and earlier, but I don’t know Catalina well yet. What have I misunderstood? Has the Supplemental Update been rolled in to the 10.15.5 update I just applied? How can I check that the Supplemental Update has been installed? (System Information.app > Software > Installations has no mention of it.) Can I download the Supplemental Update as a file and install it? Thanks for any help.

Interesting. I installed the suppl update after the 10.15.5 update on my new MBP. What’s your build? I’m at 19F101.

1 Like

I wonder if Apple might have bundled the supplemental update into the 10.15.5 update and re-released it for those who hadn’t already installed.

My build (click the version number in About This Mac) is also 19F101 after installing 10.15.5 and then the supplemental update separately.

Again, I thank you for providing the How To hints. Even stuff I know, I forget occasionally.

It would be interesting if anyone noted the build number before and after installing the supplemental update. Might the supplemental update change the build number?

I’ve just installed a fat (1.4 GB) security upgrade to my iMac running Mojave (10.14.6) here in UK. Afterwards t looked as though it was no longer blocking a Catalina upgrade and when I put the locking instruction into via Terminal, there was a statement in Terminal that the ability to block future upgrades would itself be blocked. Boo! Anyone know of a way to defeat that?

Thanks all.

From this discussion:

The security updates, as with the OS updates, change the OS build number. For example:
16G1036 = 10.12.6 with Security Update 2017-001
16G1114 = 10.12.6 with Security Update 2017-002

So, yes, I think so.

My Mac mini shows Version 10.15.5 (19F101). So it does seem to have the Supplemental Update installed, although I thought I was installing “just 10.15.5”. Now I think the point here is which 10.15.5…

I dug a little more, trying to find a record of what 10.15.5 build was installed, rather than just relying on what is there now.

The following show that 10.15.5 was installed, but they don’t show a build number: softwareupdate --history, system_profiler SPApplicationsDataType, /Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist.

But (mentioned in the discussion I linked to above), /System/Library/Receipts/ has a file com.apple.pkg.update.os.10.15.5.19F101.plist. So I think @ace is correct:

1 Like

I think this may be what Jeff Johnson wrote about here: Software Update changes in the latest macOS releases

It’s exactly what I’m seeing. Very many thanks for that. I’ve never enabled automatic installations of OSX updates so you should be safe. The red badge is a good reminder to stick another pin in my Catalina voodoo doll!

As someone who upgraded from OS 9.7.3 to 10.3.3 in one step, I’m in no rush to leave Mojave.

Oh, ugh. Seriously?

How long until updates are simply automatic and mandatory?

I’m dreading that. That feels even more MS than MS set it up on Windows 10. ;)

Yes, Apple did bundle the supplemental update into the 10.15.5 update and re-released it. The original 10.15.5 was build 19F96.

1 Like

The only way anybody has been able to defeat it is through the use of an application blocking software such as santa or Jamf’s Restricted Software to prevent the Install macOS Catalina.app from launching. The prompt will still occur, no matter what you try.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Security Update 2020-003 (Mojave and High Sierra)

It also seems to be bundled into the latest version of the 10.15.5 installer. I did a fresh install a on VM yesterday using a full 10.15.5 installer that I downloaded on June 9. The resulting build number was 19F101.

2 Likes