Is Your AppleCare+ Expiring? You Can Now Renew It

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/09/19/is-your-applecare-expiring-you-can-now-renew-it/

Do you have an aging iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch with AppleCare+ that you want to keep covered? You can now extend your AppleCare+ indefinitely, paying on a monthly basis.

1 Like

This is great news! Apple Care runs out on our 8+s next month​:grinning::clap:

Does anyone know if it’s just USA only? Or does this apply to other countries as well? I’m in Canada, and have an iPhone X with AppleCare+ that’s a couple of months away from expiring.

I hope they extend this to Macs. It would make timing new laptop purchases easier for faculty, who not only have to play dice with hardware refresh cycles but weird budget cycles and restrictions.

2 Likes

A very good question, and I can’t find any information either way. On the one hand, it would seem that if Apple offers AppleCare+ in your country, it would also likely offer this extension program. On the other hand, you never know how different countries might legislate such things, so it may not be possible everywhere.

When I purchased Applecare for my new iMac I was surprised that I had to allow Apple Diagnostics to be run during the purchase process. I guess that is so Apple knows the device does not have faults before issuing coverage - a bit like having a medical when buying life insurance.
I suppose this process has been in place for some time but I don’t buy a new iMac very often :slight_smile:
So I wonder if it will also apply to devices (iPhones etc) that are to be covered by extended Applecare?

1 Like

Interesting. I wonder what the prices are. I logged in as mentioned in the article, and see my iPad and iPhone (still covered), but don’t see a link to do monthly. Does that only appear after the warranty ends?

Yes, that’s correct (and annoying).

I wonder if it will also apply to devices (iPhones etc)

Yes. I had to go through a similar process with my iPhone.

1 Like

Not available in the EU as far as I can see. Would have been big news over here.

Here is AppleCare+ extension information at this link below and the details pasted in.

My question is what day to buy the extension.

“you can purchase the new coverage within 30 days of the end date of your original coverage.”

Does this mean 30 days before the expiration or up to 30 days after the expiration?

Extend your AppleCare+ coverage

If your AppleCare+ plan will expire soon, you might be able to continue coverage.

In Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States

In these countries and regions, when you purchase AppleCare+ coverage for your iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch, you can choose to pay monthly or pay upfront for 24 months of coverage. For Apple Watch Edition and Hermes, you can pay upfront for 36 months.

If you paid in full upfront

If you paid upfront, you can purchase coverage on a monthly basis after the 24 or 36 months is over. To purchase the new coverage, go to mysupport.apple.com. Or on your iPhone or iPad, go to Settings > General > About, then tap AppleCare+ Coverage Available and follow the onscreen instructions. This monthly plan automatically renews until canceled. You can’t pay upfront for an additional 24 or 36 months.

In Australia, Canada, Germany, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States, you can purchase the new coverage within 30 days of the end date of your original coverage.

There was a very good article about this in TidBITS last year: