iPhone 14 Pro and Apple Watch Ultra Ordering Observations

Originally published at: iPhone 14 Pro and Apple Watch Ultra Ordering Observations - TidBITS

After spending two days writing about Apple’s latest releases, Adam Engst spent some time on the order pages for the iPhone 14 Pro and the Apple Watch Ultra and came away with a few observations.

Apple says that 45mm bands will work with the Apple Watch Ultra’s 49mm case, although it’s unclear from Apple’s compatibility information if the Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop will work.

They are. If you click the compatibility link in a solo loop or braided solo band page, the popup that shows up says this:

You can match most bands with any Apple Watch Series 3 or newer case of the same size. The 41mm bands work with 38mm and 40mm cases; the 45mm bands work with 42mm, 44mm and 49mm cases.

Right, but the next sentence in that pop-up, as shown in the article says:

The Solo Loop and Braided Solo Loop bands are only compatible with Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 4 or newer. The 40mm and 41mm cases work with band sizes 1–9; the 44mm and 45mm cases works [sic] with band sizes 1–12.

If that last clause included 49mm in the list, I’d be certain. Realistically, it will probably work, but I don’t want to say that categorically without testing or Apple being crystal clear.

1 Like

Would the larger size of the Watch Ultra mean that the same Solo Band that works on previous models would be too large for the Ultra? All other bands are adjustable and so can handle small changes, but a given solo loop size works only over a very narrow range.

Something to be aware of: your carrier may not yet support eSIM and thus not be compatible with the iPhone 14. I realized today that Consumer Cellular doesn’t support eSIM yet. Apple has a list of compatible carriers here:

1 Like

According to that list, Consumer Cellular does support eSIM. That page lists three categories of support:

• eSIM Carrier Activation. With this, your carrier can install/activate the eSIM at the time of purchase, or set it up remotely, so you don’t need to do anything special.

• eSIM Quick Transfer. This allows you to transfer your activation from one eSIM phone to another without contacting your carrier.

• Other eSIM activation methods. For example, scanning a carrier-provided QR code or using a carrier-specific app to install the eSIM.

Consumer Cellular is listed in the third category. The link Apple provides there is broken, so I don’t know any more details, but it is likely that if you ask them for eSIM activation, you will receive (probably via e-mail or directly from the web site) a QR code that you can scan with your phone to install the eSIM.

1 Like