I don't get iPad Stage Manager in iPadOS 16 - any hints?

I saw the description of Stage Manager for iPadOS 16, and turned it on in the Control Center. But then what? Any hints as to how to get started so as to actually see it working? :slight_smile:

Thanks.

1 Like

Here’s an extensive guide and critical review

and another critical review that basically says don’t even try

(t appears that if you are trying to play with multi-tasking on an iPad, you’ll be less frustrated by learning how to play with the other multi-view modes.

For myself, I stick with using multiple desktop views controlled via Mission Control on a Macs.

The first article, while long and rambling, doesn’t give me the slightest hint on how to create a “stage.” I’ll try the 2nd article.

Ooh. Stages just popped up out of nowhere for no reason I can understand when I opened the Facebook app. Hmm.

doug

The stages vanish when you turn the iPad to portrait mode - but the window you were looking at stays in the center, thus wasting tons of screen space.

I agree that ordinary split view, limited as it is, is much more comprehensible.

I have been giving it a serious go on my iPad 12.9 and like it a lot. The big complaint is the loss of window size but importantly it is still wide enough for a whole page page width in Safari, no sideways scrolling.

One small example is that I have Barclaycard, Moneydance (personal finance) and calculator as a single Stage Manger group on the recent apps. This single composite icon opens all three apps in separate floating resizable windows. Even if it is no longer one of the four recent apps, opening any one of them from the dock opens all three apps.

Your post made me want to try it some more. I can see cases where it might be cool.

A couple of questions though. Is there a way of bringing up the stages on the left without coincidentally opening an app that happens to be in one of the stages?

And is there a way of moving an app from one stage to another?

And if you close an app, I seem to often be left at the regular home screen with no stages on the left. Anyway of closing an app and continuing to see the stages?

Finally (for now) I have 4 stages - but how did they get created to begin with? Some have two apps in them, some have 1.

Thanks.

Is there a way of bringing up the stages on the left without coincidentally opening an app that happens to be in one of the stages?

I don’t think so. If you are looking at a normal Home Screen (because you have closed the active app, or swiped up from the bottom edge) there is no way I have found to bring up just the Stages with no app being the active one.

And is there a way of moving an app from one stage to another?

Again I don’t think so. There are only two or more apps in a stage if you have set them as a pair with split screen or add another window. To move an app to another stage you have to add it to the one you want to move it to. If that app is already in a pair with another it will open that app as well, which is not likely to be what you intend. In my example of Barclaycard, Moneydance and Calculator, if I am using Safari and ask for Calculator it also opens Barclaycard and Moneydance. If I close Moneydance and Barclaycard to be left with just Safari and Calculator then the Moneydance/Barclaycard/Calculator stage no longer exists.

And if you close an app, I seem to often be left at the regular home screen with no stages on the left. Anyway of closing an app and continuing to see the stages?

I think what I said about the first question covers this.

Finally (for now) I have 4 stages - but how did they get created to begin with? Some have two apps in them, some have 1.

I think what I said in the answer to your second Q covers this. The four stages are the four most recent. If you had previously been using an app as a split screen pair it will be that way after turning on Stage Manager.

Bear in mind I am still in the beginners class so some of the above may be wrong. As with many things it can sound complicated to explain things longhand, when an actual usage is much simpler, and very useful. As I continue using i I am finding a lot of detail in what is possible which enhances the experience.

I don’t have a iPad that can use stage manager, but based on Ventura you should be able to drag the top window on a thumbnail to the left onto the current stage. Either with a hold and drag or with a mouse/trackpad. And if it’s like Ventura a shift-click if you have keyboard/trackpad or keyboard/mouse.

I haven’t managed to do anything like that on my iPad…it seems to be all controlled by the three dots at the top of each window which produce this dropdown:

I just found this review (apparently it was linked above, but I just read it) and it seems to confirm it should work. Stage Manager in iPadOS 16: At the Intersection of Bugs, Missing Features, and Flawed Design - MacStories

Scroll down to just above the section “A brief aside on how I like to use computers” and start reading there (and skip the “brief aside”). There’s are a couple of animated screenshots showing dragging from a thumbnail onto the current stage and dragging an icon from the dock to the current stage and from the app switcher.

Julio wrote up his first impressions during the beta too, which might be useful.

1 Like

I just tried some experiments and was able to drag from a thumbnail to the current stage. And resize windows (that’s nice). But now when I open one of the apps in the stage the whole stage does open, but I don’t see the other stages on the left like before.

In one sense that’s ok because the current stage gets to use the entire screen. But I wonder what happened to the other stages.

Still a work in progress. But the idea has potential.

If the current stage uses the full screen, or one of its windows is near the left edge of the screen, the stages are moved off-screen to the left. A swipe in from the left edge will display them.

1 Like

Thanks! that is a pretty incredible review! I have had about three attempts at really following it and reproducing things without success so far. I am sure what you say is correct but it takes some effort to learn it and I suspect I would not do it often enough to remember. When I do need to change a stage I will use the simple way which is the most Intuitive.

One useful thing to come out of it it the discovery of the “more space” setting. I can see that that can only enhance Stage Manager.

I have bookmarked the article for more study!