Hunting for a Dead Mouse: AirPlay Receiver to the Rescue

Great tip on a practical use of AirPlay Receiver.

The most likely scenario is our cat, Polly. :smiley_cat: She brings in a fair number of mice, chipmunks, and birds for us to catchā€”Iā€™ve never figured out how she can be so good at catching them outside and then so utterly worthless at catching them again once theyā€™re inside. I suspect that it was brought in rather than making its own way because I periodically leave a baited live trap out to catch the ones she brings in, and itā€™s quite effective. But if I leave it out when I donā€™t suspect anything is inside, it stays empty.

Itā€™s pretty similar. Switch into Video mode, tap the flash icon at the top left, and then tap On in the controls that come out to the right.

Ooo, if I was a character in ā€œEmily in Paris,ā€ I could have live-streamed the entire thing! But Iā€™m not nearly self-centered enough for that. :slight_smile:

(To explain Terryā€™s final comment, he and I used to run together when he lived in Ithaca.)

I hope not! :wink:

One line from the product description made me chuckle, thinking back on the days when we had three very inquisitive and resourceful young ones in the house: ā€œExplore places youve never seen with this cool new scope!ā€ I think there were a few places in the house weā€™d prefer our children didnā€™t explore. :slight_smile:

Polly probably wonders the same about you. After all, she did the hard part, and then graciously gifted you with the fruit of her efforts. I imagine sheā€™s quite puzzled why you canā€™t even catch something in an enclosed space that she was able to catch in the wild. :rofl:

1 Like

Yeah, we figure that itā€™s her way of trying to train us to be better hunters. Iā€™ve actually gotten pretty good at catching the chipmunksā€”the mice are harder because they so much smaller and I donā€™t want to hurt them with an errant grab. But the live traps are way easier.

2 Likes

In case you missed it, be glad you werenā€™t in this situation:

On routine house call, pest control finds 700 pounds of acorns in the walls

https://wapo.st/3xdbvdi

Isnā€™t nature fun?

2 Likes

Sorry for problems in advance, on my iPhone 14 pro max.

1. they have made for years iPhone sized screens with a fiber cable attached to snake around auto engines for viewing hard to see places, they include illumination through the fiber end. When Pep Boys were closing they had great sales and I was VERY close to getting one.

2. when I was young we had a mouse in the house. We brought in the mother cat and she spotted the mouse immediately. It climbed the curtains behind my dadā€™s desk and got on the curtain rail peering over the top of the curtains to see what was going on. The mother cat jumped on to the desk then leaped the three to four feet, took both front paws reached over the top of the top of the curtains, grabbed the mouse with hang time that would make Micheal Jordon jealous, and came back down with it. Now with live mouse in mouth asked to go back outside to take the mouse to her kittens.

3. we had porch umbrella against the house outside, the post came apart so canapĆ© was close to the ground. The dogs were quite interested in it for some reason. So to show nothing was amiss I picked it up and shaked it. A mouse dropped out, and started to climb the stucco wall. The old English Sheep dog instantly bit the mouse, we tried to get it out of the dogā€™s mouth, but he had already swallowed it.

4. similar situation back in Newtown Ct we had an old farm house. Under the kitchen sink a mouse was into the wall and on top of the sill plate, dead. Luckily we had a basement and from there it was easy to reach the dead rodent.

5. in college I was in a house with two house mates. My 6+ foot boa constrictor had gotten out of her? cage. Couple weeks later we started to have all sort of flies. Took a while to find source, but finally removed the panel below the built in oven door to reveal one dead snake with maggots galore.

Did get another boa. Soon after we were married, in the wee hours of the morning there was considerable noise in the kitchen, my new bride went out to investigate, came back and quite sternly demanded ā€œcome get your snake out of my cub boards!ā€ Luckily she, again?, had just knocked out Tupperware, so no broken dishes to sweep up.

6. My son just bought a house last spring. That summer he had quite a flow of yellow liquid flowing from the beams coming out from above the ceiling. Seemed he had a huge bee hive in the space between the ceiling and roof. Took some time to remove the hive. Unfortunately he was advised not to eat/use the couple gallons of honey he had collected due the fiber glass insulation in it.

As Jimmy Buffett said at the end of ā€œGodā€™s own Drunkā€. thatā€™s a take

3 Likes

My son-in-law is a cabinet maker (talk about skills - Iā€™m so jealous!) and when he would install bookshelves and cabinet he needed to examine wiring and other items behind the walls. I bought both he and myself the DEPSTECH Wireless Endoscope (IP67 Waterproof WiFi Borescope Inspection 2.0 Megapixels HD Snake Camera for Android and iOS Smartphone, iPhone, iPad, Samsung -Black(11.5FT)) through Amazon and found it amazing. It comes with a long flexible viewing cord that connects into a unit which connects to the iPhone via an app on the phone. It comes with multiple light/mirrors so you can see with ease. Iā€™ve used it a lot of times searching for things that have fallen behind something. I highly recommend such a device. I saw in an earlier post a similar suggestion.

Love the ingenuity using the phone. Mice are really nasty. When the church I was serving was struck by lightning - not once but twice several months apart (the Good Lord doesnā€™t have such a good aim my congregation decided - my house was just across the street!). The second time it did lots of damage and knocked out lots of our wiring and devices. When the crew came in to fix things up they had to replace the elevatorā€™s electronics and discovered the mice had almost chewed all the way through the wiring and we were just a zap away from a very nasty fire. So, moral to the story: church mice DO have a purpose. . .

2 Likes

dead mouse

actually not much fun. as an art student, renting in a tatty victorian mansion that had been converted into single room flats, had a squirrel perish somewhere under the floor. the landlord couldnā€™t be arsed. just poured some nasty cloying stuff to mask the corpse stench.

same place had its power fail in the midst of a deep freeze. the pipes burst in the basement. no heat or water for several weeks.

the joys of student accommodation.

1 Like

I once was offered, as a student, a one room apartment, a bedsit as they call them here. It was orange, bright orange, with no windows. As I stood there in disbelief that anyone would consider such a thing, a slow stench arose, next door had flushed.

No, no thanks.

1 Like

Ah, the stories of college student life crun henry and Tommy!

1 Like

I just got this, it will supposedly work with an iPhone. Its just the camera with a long optic fiber portion, use your iPhone for display via USB. It will go under water!