How You Can Lose a File Despite Three Layers of Backup (and How To Avoid It)

This is a very good article, which got me thinking …

I have 3 backups; Daily, Weekly and TimeMachine. So why not also have an Hourly backup?

When I’m working on documents and files, I put them into a folder called “Temporary” and move them into permanent locations as I finish working with them. I set up a new task in Carbon Copy Cloner to back up this folder (and nothing else) every hour. Although it may execute every hour, it’s very quick and just takes a few seconds.

Of course, if I happen to create a new file or document and delete it, all within the same time frame, I will not have a backup, but I figured nothing is perfect.

You can check for (and optionally remove) old versions using VersionsManager. The only document-based applications I’ve seen using versions are Preview, BBEdit, and VMWare (I don’t use TextEdit but it presumably does). Microsoft products don’t seem to, nor do Adobe products, although for both I’m using older versions so maybe the latest versions do.

I haven’t used Microsoft Word for many years, but my memory is that it was frustrating and not very Mac-like. Nisus Writer supports Versions, as do most of the other (document-based) Mac applications that I use and/or develop.

For those interested, you could always consider a real time backup like this one. It monitors a directory and makes immediate copies once the directory is modified.

There was one several years ago called SynkPro which was a beautifully written real time app which had all sorts of options for doing live syncs. Sadly it was discontinued around the time of Sierra (I think) as Apple changed some of the foundations which allowed it to work. It can still be downloaded here but as the company has ceased operation there will be no support. It’s such a shame, great software which we still use in production on some older machines.

Actually, there’s an ISO standard for dates: ISO 8601 - Wikipedia

1 Like