How iOS and macOS Dictation Can Learn from Voice Control’s Dictation

Apple engineers are some of the best in the business. I’m sure they have done an excellent job on Rosetta 2 emulation. However the constraints for emulating an x86 speech engine are a lot more challenging than emulating say a word processor. I’m sure it can be done but what’s the performance going to be like. Is it going to be quick enough to be usable. Will it have the hooks necessary to control the non-emulated environment.

Here I’m not sure if you’re talking about virtualization to run an older version of macOS, or Windows to run the Windows version of Dragon. Regardless of which, neither of them would work for me. I’m part of the mobility impaired group. I need native Voice Recognition (VR) to command-and-control my Mac in addition to being able to reliably dictate text. If you’re not interested in command-and-control of your Mac, then you should really try Voice Control right now (assuming you’re on Catalina or newer). The majority of the things I’m talking about Voice Control not having are primarily for those individuals, like myself, that need to operate their Mac completely hands-free. If you do not need to command-and-control your Mac by voice, then the current dictation capabilities and editing by voice with Voice Control should meet your needs.

Rossetta 2 does translation and not emulation. It translates the x86 instructions into arm just once at installation time. This results in excellent speed perfomance. So the constraints for running a speech engine and a word processor are no different on Rossetta 2. Apple demonstrated this capability at WWDC using Maya which is far more CPU intensive than a word processor or Dragon.

Hands down, Dragon is the best dictation software. Accuracy in dragon is really good and that alone is the deciding factor for me. So it really comes down to price and since for the Mac you can’t buy Dragon anymore, it is essentially free for those who already have it.

Yup, I have to agree and continue to do medical dictation in Dragon successfully even to Big Sur. Fortunately there will likely be better products that are cloud based and am pleasantly surprised by Fluency by m.modal (though still difficult to correct). If there is a case for machine learning, this is it.

1 Like

Is there some kind of speech recognition users group? I find these conversations cropping up here and there, but I wonder if there is a more central place.

1 Like