How do you guys hold your iPhone? (no, seriously)

Yes…my 15 Pro Max running whatever the update to iOS issued yesterday was has a bell in control center to activate/deactivate Silent Mode…and it’s been there since release of the 15 Pro Max.

1 Like

Great. Thank you, @neil1.

Yes, I just use the bell button in the Control Center to mute the phone (which is almost permanently the state). Alternatively, you can make a Shortcut to activate/de-activate Silent Mode and map it to the double- or triple- Back Tap function to change the silent state with just one action.

My biggest beef is the Mute switch next to the volume buttons. So often it gets turned to mute accidentally and calls are missed. My wife resorted to putting a drop of CA glue on it to prevent that - if she needs to mute the phone she can still use the volume down button.

So now iPhone 16 CAD renders have leaked. They seem to indicate that the capture button, unlike the other buttons, will be flush with the enclosure. Perhaps precisely because of how it otherwise becomes impossible to insert the device into so many dash mounts. Just hope it actually works. Even a recessed button is easy to hit when you’re fiddling with the device and trying to force it into a mount.

The Apple Watch has an elongated side button flush with the case. As of watch OS 10, it’s used to turn the watch on, access the control center, and summon Apple Pay. It seems to work well. However, many folks put the Phone in a case. I find it challenging to control pressing the current buttons through a case, and I think using a non-raised button will be even more difficult.

It is going to depend greatly on the design of the case. In my experience, I found that the buttons used by OtterBox cases (rubber buttons the size of Apple’s buttons) are awkward to use.

But my Spigen Tough Armor case has oversized plastic buttons with internal posts that press the phone’s buttons. I find it’s actually easier to use the case’s buttons than operating caseless.

As with so many things, this is really a matter of preference. If there is a store near you that will let you try different cases (I know of a few “phone accessory” stores in local shopping malls that will), you can try out different models and learn what design you prefer. (Just be nice and buy from the store if you are going to take the salesperson’s time to help you decide.)

I’m a PopSocket/OhSnap Luxe 4 kinda guy. And many parts of the screen are still hard to thumb at.