High Sierra 10.13.6 SLOW to close Safari 12.0.2 tab(s)

(Ron Gillmore) #1

The OS seems to stop communication for some seconds when closing some Safari tabs: the clock in the menu bar freezes, sometimes for up to 15 seconds.

I habitually run my MacBook Pro [16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3] with multiple Safari windows plus more tabs open.

Is this something buggy (software/hardware)?
Is High Sierra being extra diligent in cleaning up background files?

Thanks,
Ron

(Al Varnell) #3

And you’ve checked your Mac for adware?

(Ron Gillmore) #4

hmm, that did not occur to me…

Is there a standard way to check for uninvited ‘adware’…?

(Al Varnell) #5

I personally know and support the following anti-malware developers, which are either free or have free trials that will take care of all known Mac malware (including adware) and are low impact.

Malwarebytes for Mac
DetectX
ClamXAV

(frederico) #6

Great suggestion from Al; it sounds like to me you’re getting something akin to bitcoin miner malware, running background from your spare CPU.

You might also try an adblocker, such as uBlock ( search this forum for instructions on how to not get the useless ripoff of the same name) or 1Blocker X or even Adblock or Ghostery long enough to see if you’ve getting roughed around.

It would also be worth trying Safari under a fresh temp user account going to only trusted, dissimilar pages; if it’s happy there, you may just need to nuke your caches, and possibly history.

Repeat a fresh test in your environment to be sure before you nuke ( if you care).

If you don’t want to lose your current session(s), save them as tab sets and try starting with a single trusted page in your own user space.

Also, be sure to try turning off all your extensions and plugins temporarily.

(frederico) #7

Addendum: if you’re loathe to nuke your cookies, you can temporarily drag both history and cookies out and reopen a known-problematic tab set for testing.

Finally, I assume you’ve tried just restarting the Mac? One might also try Safe boot and Safe User modes to make certain it’s not an app, utility, etc., in background.

(Ron Gillmore) #8

Thanks for your replies!
I downloaded ClamXav and ran it — no hits, nothing quarantined…;

I closed everything and shutdown (after 11 days of uptime); after rebooting the problem seems to have disappeared (a mystery).

Cheers,
Ron