HFS access on modern Macs

yeah, but it’s only the first circle. you got to give it more time.

The primary advantage of homebrew is you don’t need an older Mac or a separate Linux machine to access an orphaned HFS formatted disc.

There’s also Catacombae - HFSExplorer, which is a Java application to browse HFS/HFS+ and disk images. Mostly useful as a way to open .dmg files on Windows, but being Java, it also be used on a Macintosh. It’s not as elegant as being able to natively mount the filesystem, but it will do in a pinch, and it’s free and open-source.

Older HFS (Mac OS Standard) filesystems are supported by Linux and older macOS versions (up to and including macOS 10.14), but users of newer versions of macOS (10.15 and later) may find HFS support useful for browsing old disks and disk images.

2 Likes

Ok, I might have something I can contribute to this discussion. Back under the Linux 2 series kernel (I’m not sure which, 2.0, 2.2 ?) there was a kernel module which allow hfs filesystems to be mounted directly. That was removed in later kernels for reasons that I don’t fathom. Fortunately, you seemed to have worked around that issue. At this point you could then use Netatalk. (though you might need a pre 3.0 version of it.) Netatalk was capable of accessing native resource forks which it would then hand off to clients. I used to have an archive of iso CD-ROM images farmed out to network clients this way. HTH

Yes. They still exist, but the kernel modules aren’t loaded by default. But you can install them with a modprobe command to make them available.

This was mentioned earlier in this thread: HFS access on modern Macs - #11 by Shamino